» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Great Dismal Swamp Still Burning

Written By: Red Ant on 06/25/08 at 1:22 pm

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=8464365

I might normally find the prospect of a swamp, which usually contains non-flammable water, burning as something that can only happen on Mars, but the mass quantities of partially underground burning peat make for a smoky, stinky, hard to fight fire.

I was in Emporia, VA on the 14th of this month and the city was covered with thick smoke. Emporia is a good 70 miles from the fire. This morning our neighborhood here smelt strongly of burnt toast and electrical fire - I thought perhaps I left the oven on after making garlic toast last night, but going outside revealed it was the swamp smoke again. Visibility was poor, and the smell was enough to burn one's eyes, nose and throat.

Ant

Subject: Re: Great Dismal Swamp Still Burning

Written By: midnite on 08/25/08 at 7:12 pm

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=8464365

I might normally find the prospect of a swamp, which usually contains non-flammable water, burning as something that can only happen on Mars, but the mass quantities of partially underground burning peat make for a smoky, stinky, hard to fight fire.

I was in Emporia, VA on the 14th of this month and the city was covered with thick smoke. Emporia is a good 70 miles from the fire. This morning our neighborhood here smelt strongly of burnt toast and electrical fire - I thought perhaps I left the oven on after making garlic toast last night, but going outside revealed it was the swamp smoke again. Visibility was poor, and the smell was enough to burn one's eyes, nose and throat.

Ant

I almost ran out of gas this weekend driving on the Route 17 bypass in the Dismal Swamp area.  There is nothing out there. 

Check for new replies or respond here...