» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Fish 'n' chips saved my life

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/08 at 6:18 pm

A couple have travelled 60 miles for fish and chips in their favourite seaside town every day for the past 10 years.

Ermis Nicholas, 71, reckons the daily pilgrimage - which has cost him and his wife Androniki £18,200 - has even saved his life.

For a man recovering from a near-fatal heart attack, it might not seem the ideal recovery plan, but the retired restaurateur says it's helped him shed seven stone, reports the Daily Mail.

Every morning, the pair catch two buses to get from their home in Bristol to Weston-super-Mare - where they have fish and chips for lunch, followed by a six mile stroll around the resort.

The Cypriot-born couple have racked up 2,600 visits and 156,000 miles - but thanks to their bus passes the travel is free.

It all began in 1998, when Mr Nicholas suffered a heart attack. Weighing 19-stone, he was advised by doctors to take a daily walk.

"I was given little chance of surviving. I had a belly so big I could balance a pint on it," he said.

"They had me taking nine tablets every day but they weren't helping me so I stopped taking them and started walking instead. I have never looked back.

"All the fish-and- chip bars in Weston are great so we like to have a change and eat somewhere different every day."

Now 12-stone, Mr Nicholas says he has never felt better.

Check for new replies or respond here...