» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Monopoly, the movie?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/12/08 at 11:20 am

Apaarenty....  ::)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3ie9098baec9eb95cdc85766d63f68ce1b

Subject: Re: Monopoly, the movie?

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/08 at 9:29 pm

Apaarenty....  ::)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3ie9098baec9eb95cdc85766d63f68ce1b

see this is why we need you here...no one else has this need to know information  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/13/08 at 11:09 am

Thanks.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/08 at 11:21 am

Will this film make money or bankrupt?

Can four people only view this at a time?

Written By: karen on 11/13/08 at 11:32 am

Which version will they use?

In London the Scout Association organise a live monopoly game around the streets.  you have to take pictures of your group outside each board location.  I remember my niece doing this a couple of years ago

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/08 at 11:37 am

In London the Scout Association organise a live monopoly game around the streets.  you have to take pictures of your group outside each board location.  I remember my niece doing this a couple of years ago
I know there is a book set on the Monopoly locations in London, but did not know of this Scout Association event.

Written By: karen on 11/13/08 at 1:57 pm

Verbatim explanation from my niece

"u were in a team of about 4 people
and u has a list of all the places on the monopoly board
u had to by a copy of the daily mail then go around london to all the places on the list (which were on the monoboard) and take a picture of you and your team holding the daily mail. then u had to get bk to gilwell

who ever got the most in the quickest time won

it was fun"

Did that make sense?

I also remember reading about this being done in the seventies. (probably in my brothers copy of the Scout Annual)  The groups then started at Baden-Powell House in the centre of London.  I think they had to roll dice and visit the places as suggested by dice roll.  When the teams got back to HQ (Go) they were given £200 for troup funds.

Anyway, not sure if any of this will feature in the plot of the new movie

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/08 at 2:01 pm

Verbatim explanation from my niece

"u were in a team of about 4 people
and u has a list of all the places on the monopoly board
u had to by a copy of the daily mail then go around london to all the places on the list (which were on the monoboard) and take a picture of you and your team holding the daily mail. then u had to get bk to gilwell

who ever got the most in the quickest time won

it was fun"

Did that make sense?

I also remember reading about this being done in the seventies. (probably in my brothers copy of the Scout Annual)  The groups then started at Baden-Powell House in the centre of London.  I think they had to roll dice and visit the places as suggested by dice roll.  When the teams got back to HQ (Go) they were given £200 for troup funds.

How were Water Works and Electric Company achieved in this trek around London, also which Car Park and Prison did they visit?

Written By: karen on 11/13/08 at 4:23 pm

How were Water Works and Electric Company achieved in this trek around London, also which Car Park and Prison did they visit?

Apparently they didn't not visit these places.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/08 at 4:29 pm

Apparently they didn't not visit these places.
An optional choice of those would make the trek around London more interesting.

I know there is a book set on the Monopoly locations in London.
The book I was thinking of is Do Not Pass Go: From the Old Kent Road to Mayfair by Tim Moore

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/03/09 at 10:34 pm

Well, as long as everyone ends up at Mornington Crescent...

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/09 at 1:17 am

Well, as long as everyone ends up at Mornington Crescent...
Best game on the radio, and a film should not be made.

Written By: Tia on 01/09/09 at 9:25 am

Whomever thought this would be a great film should go directly to Jail!
oddly enough, with this lineup -- burton producing and ridley scott directing -- it probably has a chance to be decent if it's at all possible to make a decent movie based on monopoly. but it may not be. i seem to remember "clue" being pretty mediocre.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/09/09 at 12:31 pm

What next...Pictionary, the movie?  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/09 at 8:40 pm

What next...Pictionary, the movie?  ;D

Or Parcheesi--the Motion Picture!

Gnyuk gnyuk gnyuk!
:D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/14/09 at 7:42 pm

Or Parcheesi--the Motion Picture!

Gnyuk gnyuk gnyuk!
:D

How about Chutes And Ladders?

Or Candy Land?  ::)

Written By: Cautious Lip on 02/01/09 at 7:32 am

oddly enough, with this lineup -- burton producing and ridley scott directing -- it probably has a chance to be decent if it's at all possible to make a decent movie based on monopoly. but it may not be. i seem to remember "clue" being pretty mediocre.

without passing go.

Written By: Paul on 02/04/09 at 5:38 pm

Clever idea...

This won't mean a thing to anyone but the British, but isn't it strange how all the places on a British Monopoly board are north of the Thames barring Old Kent Road?

(Well, okay...so there's no 'interesting' places south of the river! Point taken!)

Written By: TheLurkerKing on 02/08/09 at 3:15 pm

How about Chutes And Ladders?

Or Candy Land?  ::)

"Rosebud."

"Chutes and Ladders" or "Snakes and Ladders," as it was orginally known has already played a prominent part in a film. Just look at "Lair of the White Worm" to see what I mean.

And the idea for a film based on Monopoly is not a new idea. When "Clue" came out in 1985, the next film to be made was to be a film based on Monopoly, but when "Clue" underperformed at the box office, the idea for a film based on Monopoly wa shelved.

Written By: snozberries on 02/08/09 at 3:31 pm

But Jumanji was a great movie  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/09 at 6:45 am

But Jumanji was a great movie  ::)
Was Jumanji 2 so good?

Written By: Silver Power on 02/14/09 at 10:38 am

Wait, the movie would be based off of the British board? That's good, because in the U.S. the board is based in Atlantic City. I live 10 minutes from Atlantic City. I would never wish Atlantic City on anyone.

Written By: snozberries on 02/14/09 at 2:03 pm

Was Jumanji 2 so good?

was there a jumanji 2?

oh yeah.....it was called Zathura  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...