» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Flip-flops to stop tipsy feeling

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/08 at 1:26 pm

Flip-flops to stop tipsy feeling

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45248000/jpg/_45248514_f21c5042-de3c-4147-86f6-1f18329b65ef.jpg

Late night revellers in a Devon resort are being offered flip-flops to help them get home.

Police in Torquay say it makes it easier for women, rather than struggling along in high heels.

Campaigners The Taxpayers' Alliance said the £30,000 cost of the scheme was an "idiotic waste of money".

Police say it is part of a wider package of the measures including advice on safer sex and a police team who have reduced crime.

The flip-flops, which will be given out from December, will have messages about safe alcohol limits printed on them.

The footwear will be paid for by £30,000 of funding secured from the Home Office by Safer Communities Torbay, an alliance of local authority, police and health services.

The scheme is the latest late-night policing idea in Torbay where "mop cops" order people who urinate in the street to clean up after themselves.

Matthew Elliott of the Taxpayers' Alliance said: "This is an idiotic waste of money.

"People don't pay taxes for drunk women to get free flip-flops, they want police to fight crime.

"Police aren't there to be an emergency supply of flat shoes."

Supt Chris Singer, Torbay Police Commander, said the flip-flops were part of a wider campaign to make the area safer at night.

These included extra officers on duty at night in the harbour area and safer-sex advice, as well as the "mop cops".

He said: "I would be surprised if the cost of the flip-flops was more than £200.

"This is part of a forward-thinking, innovative partnership to make it a safer place to be."

Subject: Re: Flip-flops to stop tipsy feeling

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/28/08 at 2:30 pm

I think people should buy their own flip-flops.  Taxpayers shouldn't have to have their money spend on a intoxicated person ability to walk straight.  Besides no one paid for my flip-flops.

Written By: gibbo on 11/28/08 at 6:40 pm

I think people should buy their own flip-flops.  Taxpayers shouldn't have to have their money spend on a intoxicated person ability to walk straight.  Besides no one paid for my flip-flops.

Agreed..... those are called thongs in Australia. Of course, that term has a different meaning to most on this board. I am wearing thongs right now (on my feet....kinky eh?)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/28/08 at 7:23 pm

Agreed..... those are called thongs in Australia. Of course, that term has a different meaning to most on this board. I am wearing thongs right now (on my feet....kinky eh?)

There are shoes here in the states called thongs.  They're like a combination of flip-flop and sandal.  It's Summer down there isn't it?

Written By: gibbo on 11/28/08 at 8:33 pm

There are shoes here in the states called thongs.  They're like a combination of flip-flop and sandal.  It's Summer down there isn't it?

Yes..it is quite warm and humid today....

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/08 at 4:23 pm

I was hoping that Bobby could tell us more as he leaves close by.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/02/08 at 6:50 pm

You could've applied for a fip-flops grant.  It's easy!  Just ask Matthew Lesko!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/drunken_smilie.gif

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/09/08 at 11:08 pm

You could've applied for a fip-flops grant.  It's easy!  Just ask Matthew Lesko!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/drunken_smilie.gif

Lesko is a fraud.  Besides you know how much paperwork goes into grant writing?

Check for new replies or respond here...