» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Shots fired at advertising blimp

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/08 at 12:47 pm

Shots fired at advertising blimp

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45314000/jpg/_45314153_006629909.jpg

An airship advertising a warehouse in East Sussex has been shot at after claims by villagers that it spoils their view of the South Downs.

Big Box Storage Centre director Mike Rayner, who has a base in Ditchling, had to apply for consent from the Civil Aviation Authority to fly the blimp.

He said it cost £500 to repair and reinflate it each time it was shot.

Sussex Police said officers had received two reports of the blimp being shot at and had recovered air pellets.

Mr Rayner said the airship was targeted on the first day it was launched in August.

He said rumours were "rife" in the village about who was shooting at the 20ft (6m) white, green and blue airship.

He said the company had received a number of complaints that the blimp was spoiling people's views and one from a woman who said it scared her dog.

But he also claimed many customers had used the firm after seeing the advert.

He said: "We don't want it to be shot down again as it's so costly to repair."

But Mary Holman, clerk to Ditchling Parish Council, said: "Feelings are running high."

She said: "It's an eyesore. It's very visible from all around the common. We've got a fantastic common and country park - we are in a lovely area here and it's very visible."

Mrs Holman said she had received "quite a lot" of emails to the parish council from villagers opposing the airship, even though it only flies in good weather.

She said: "The parish council don't want it either."

Subject: Re: Shots fired at advertising blimp

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/19/08 at 1:48 pm

Those must have been some pretty high powered rifles or the blimp was flying low.  When I was a kid the Goodyear blimp would make an appearance every so often.  I don't think shots were ever fired.  Having a hot air balloon land near you is a mess.  The noise drives dogs crazy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/19/08 at 4:30 pm

Can't say I blame the folks.  That thing is butt-ugly!  If I was on the council, I would have voted nix on his permit.

Written By: snozberries on 12/20/08 at 11:46 am

Those must have been some pretty high powered rifles or the blimp was flying low.   When I was a kid the Goodyear blimp would make an appearance every so often.  I don't think shots were ever fired.  Having a hot air balloon land near you is a mess.  The noise drives dogs crazy.

it looks like one of those balloon "blimps" you know the kind they tie to the bldg so you can see the place from the freeway 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/20/08 at 12:27 pm

it looks like one of those balloon "blimps" you know the kind they tie to the bldg so you can see the place from the freeway 

Yeah, they're a little easier to hit than the free roaming ones. :)

Written By: snozberries on 12/20/08 at 12:40 pm

Yeah, they're a little easier to hit than the free roaming ones. :)

but not nearly as much fun

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/20/08 at 12:48 pm

but not nearly as much fun

Good point :)

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/21/08 at 7:57 am

I wouldn't want a big blimp with a massive advertising logo on it hovering over my house, either! Don't think I would shoot at it, though!  :D

Written By: snozberries on 12/21/08 at 11:22 am

I wouldn't want a big blimp with a massive advertising logo on it hovering over my house, either! Don't think I would shoot at it, though!  :D

isn't that something you should inherently know about yourself?  ;D

Written By: wildcard on 12/21/08 at 6:02 pm

If there's a blimp low enough over my house to shoot I would consider shooting it.  Maybe with a camera first.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/24/09 at 6:09 am

"OH, THE HUMANITY!!!"  :o :o :o

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/25/09 at 5:23 am

Living in Long Beach, CA, the beach, and near Carson, CA (Goodyear Blimp home) and especially during the LB/Toyota Gran Prix time of year (April), we get more than our share of blimps flying overhead.  :P

Don't know if most are familiar with the low, rumbling, irritating drone of blimp engines at low altitude, and how its presence mars what would otherwise be a calm pleasant day at the beach or a quiet day at your home, but believe me the Fuji, Goodyear, Coors, Saturn, MetLife and other assortment of blimps flying overhead ruining your day, well it can justify that type of response...

Not saying I advocate shooting at one, but man, I can certainly say there have been times, at home in my fair city that I (and others) have thought about it...  :-X

Check for new replies or respond here...