» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Divorced Man "wants his kidney back"

Written By: karen on 01/09/09 at 9:19 am

A US man divorcing his wife is demanding that she return the kidney he donated to her or pay him $1.5m (£1m) in compensation.

Dr Richard Batista told reporters that he decided to go public because he was frustrated at the slow pace of divorce negotiations with his estranged wife. He said he had not only given his heart to his wife, Dawnell, but donated his kidney to save her life.

But divorce lawyers say a donated organ is not a marital asset to be divided.

Dr Batista married Dawnell in 1990 and donated the kidney to her in 2001. She filed for divorce in 2005 and a settlement has still not been reached.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7818751.stm

Subject: Re: Divorced Man "wants his kidney back"

Written By: Tia on 01/09/09 at 9:22 am

she apparently turned around right after he gave her his kidney and cheated on him. i say she should have to give it back.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/09/09 at 12:38 pm

He's got a point.  There's more attached to that kidney than just an organ donation.  Obviously she needed it, however the gratitude was a bit short sighted.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/09/09 at 1:03 pm

He got

*PUNKED*

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/09/09 at 6:12 pm

she apparently turned around right after he gave her his kidney and cheated on him. i say she should have to give it back.

Agree, but I think he just wants her to know how much she sucks.

Written By: Tia on 01/09/09 at 9:01 pm

Agree, but I think he just wants her to know how much she sucks.
fudge that, they should open her up, open him up, take the kidney out of her and put it back in him. she cuckolded the fudger after he made it so he can't even get drunk so he could save her life? that's just wrong on so many levels.

c'mon. i'm watching madoff and enron and rich-guy bailouts and israel in gaza and bush is somehow not in prison.

justice. once. that's all i'm saying.

Written By: Jessica on 01/09/09 at 10:27 pm

I'd like to hear her side of this.

Written By: Tia on 01/09/09 at 10:34 pm

I'd like to hear her side of this.
so would i. if she can explain it away i'd be impressed. maybe he was physically abusive or something while they were together. if so she can take the kidney and god be with her. but as it stands...

Written By: Jessica on 01/09/09 at 10:39 pm

so would i. if she can explain it away i'd be impressed. maybe he was physically abusive or something while they were together. but as it stands...

As it stands, you're hearing one side, and right now, they both look stupid.  Him for being such a big fat crybaby about something he gave as a gift (and really, he sounds worse than that for saying he'd accept a cool million in lieu of the kidney), and her for being an ungrateful whore who took him for a very personal piece of property and then left him after she got what she wanted.

Written By: Tia on 01/09/09 at 10:40 pm

As it stands, you're hearing one side, and right now, they both look stupid.  Him for being such a big fat crybaby about something he gave as a gift (and really, he sounds worse than that for saying he'd accept a cool million in lieu of the kidney), and her for being an ungrateful whore who took him for a very personal piece of property and then left him after she got what she wanted.
i agree with that. if i were him i'd be like, fudge the million. gimme the goddamn kidney. i been cheated on before and that makes a fudgeer dead to me.

Written By: Jessica on 01/09/09 at 10:47 pm

i agree with that. if i were him i'd be like, fudge the million. gimme the goddamn kidney. i been cheated on before and that makes a fudger dead to me.

Trust me, if this were me, and I'd done this for Rice, and he pulled some sh*t like this guy is saying his wife did.....well, Rice would be laying in a pool of his own blood in a back alley somewhere. :)

However, it doesn't sound like this guy is serious in this at all, more like he needs some footing to get the divorce proceedings rolling faster.  So he figures if he can make the wifey look like an asshat, he'll get whatever he's really wanting.

I'd really like to know her side of this though, and I'm sure it will probably come out eventually, now that the case has been made public. :P

Written By: Tia on 01/09/09 at 10:52 pm

However, it doesn't sound like this guy is serious in this at all, more like he needs some footing to get the divorce proceedings rolling faster.  So he figures if he can make the wifey look like an asshat, he'll get whatever he's really wanting.

yeah, i agree it sounds like he's trying to get some cabbage out of it. if it were me, i'd be like, up yours, yo. kidney. in my hand. right now.  ;D count of three and then i take a rusty serrated knife and go after that goodness my own self. we don't need no stinkin' surgeons."

then again, it's sorta like bloggette always having the argument where she ruthlessly pwns all comers and then at the end she's all, "well, that's what i said in my head. out loud i was like, 'thank you very much. i hope my selflessly sacrificed kidney helps you enjoy yourself and stay well hydrated as you bang away at the new hotness. if you need me, i'll be over here not getting drunk to assuage my heartbreak because i ONLY HAVE ONE KIDNEY. :\'("

Written By: Jessica on 01/09/09 at 10:57 pm

yeah, i agree it sounds like he's trying to get some cabbage out of it. if it were me, i'd be like, up yours, yo. kidney. in my hand. right now.  ;D count of three and then i take a rusty serrated knife and go after that goodness my own self."

then again, it's sorta like bloggette always having the argument where she ruthlessly pwns all comers and then at the end she's all, "well, that's what i said in my head. out loud i was like, 'thank you very much. i hope my selflessly sacrificed kidney helps you enjoy yourself as you bang away at the new hotness. if you need me, i'll be over here not getting drunk to assuage my heartbreak because i ONLY HAVE ONE KIDNEY. :\'("

;D

Well, if anything, this should be an interesting story to distract us from the daily mayhem that goes on in this country.  We can only hope the wife comes out and defends herself.

Written By: Tia on 01/09/09 at 11:04 pm

;D

Well, if anything, this should be an interesting story to distract us from the daily mayhem that goes on in this country.  We can only hope the wife comes out and defends herself.
i definitely admit i'm curious. she might be like -- who was that really young chick who banged that really rich old guy, or whatever? -- in which case there's no defense, or she might be like lorraina bobbitt, in which case i remember hearing that story and being like, you know, if i were in her shoes i think i'd go after the anteater my own damn self.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/10/09 at 12:30 am

I think I'm more shocked that you can't drink if you only have one kidney. 

That sucks.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/10/09 at 12:02 pm

I dunno why he couldn't drink with one kidney... now, if he had half a liver, it would make sense.

Suing for a kidney back is ridiculous - I could see him suing for the cost of the transplant and all the down time he had from it.

signature banned as well

Written By: Tia on 01/10/09 at 12:05 pm

i dunno, maybe you can drink with one kidney, i just sorta assumed it would be a bad idea. drinking makes ya pee and all.

i like to drink, which is why i took the initiative and had a third kidney added.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/09 at 8:38 pm

Well, I've heard of custody fights over the kid, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if this ain't the first custody fight over the kidney.

:D

Written By: Silver Power on 01/16/09 at 1:27 am

Well, I've heard of custody fights over the kid, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if this ain't the first custody fight over the kidney.

:D

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha-ha-ha ha ha ha.

Written By: Silver Power on 01/16/09 at 1:29 am

Seriously though, even though he gave his kidney to her when they were married, it's ridiculous to ask for it back.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/16/09 at 6:49 am

Seriously though, even though he gave his kidney to her when they were married, it's ridiculous to ask for it back.

It does show a very juvenile mentality

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/17/09 at 3:54 pm

It does show a very juvenile mentality

Ever known divorce proceedings that didn't become juvenile at some point?  Removing a kidney is being a little bit beyond the normal juvenile pettiness though. :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...