» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Warning: Milk Chocolate "contains milk"

Written By: karen on 01/12/09 at 8:45 am

Cadbury's Dairy Milk wrappers are to have a warning printed on that warns that the product contains milk.  In case the name and the wrapper, which features a picture of two glasses of milk being poured, doesn't clue you in!

http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=12699030

Subject: Re: Warning: Milk Chocolate "contains milk"

Written By: Tia on 01/12/09 at 9:19 am

http://www.monproductions.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/colonel/_nuts.jpg

Written By: karen on 01/12/09 at 9:39 am

Aah but pine nuts are not a 'true' nut they are seeds.  Which might make a difference to an allergy sufferer.

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/12/09 at 11:33 am

Karma for your knowledge of pine nuts, Karen.  I always appreciate your fun facts.

Maybe the Cadbury wrappers should also "moo" when you open them, just to be sure....  :D

Written By: Tia on 01/12/09 at 11:53 am

Karma for your knowledge of pine nuts, Karen.  I always appreciate your fun facts.
yeah, great, although she totally messed up my joke  >:(

Written By: Jessica on 01/12/09 at 11:59 am

This should totally go in my Captain Obvious thread. :D

Tia, I once ran across a bag of cashews in a quick fix cashew chicken dinner.  The bag was clear so you could see the cashews, but all over the bag, printed in big black letters, it said, "Caution: May contain nuts". ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/12/09 at 12:09 pm

This should totally go in my Captain Obvious thread. :D

Tia, I once ran across a bag of cashews in a quick fix cashew chicken dinner.  The bag was clear so you could see the cashews, but all over the bag, printed in big black letters, it said, "Caution: May contain nuts". ::)

Which means your cashew chicken dinner may have cashews, then again it may not  ::)

Written By: Tia on 01/12/09 at 12:15 pm

Which means your cashew chicken dinner may have cashews, then again it may not   ::)
next time i'm in a chinese restaurant i'm going to order nutless chicken with cashew nuts. or chicken with cashew non-nuts.

omg! NonNuts! someone should totally market that. some kinda weird synthetic imitation nuts for people with nut allergies. it would probably be disgusting but "NonNuts" would make a cool label.

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/12/09 at 12:36 pm

yeah, great, although she totally messed up my joke  >:(

Fear not, I'll laugh at you, Tia.

Written By: tomario on 01/12/09 at 1:19 pm

On the back of the packet "Suitable for vegetarians."  :o

http://www.english-shop.de/images/Walkers%20-%20Crisps%20-%20Beef%20&%20Onion.jpg

Written By: karen on 01/12/09 at 1:20 pm

http://www.english-shop.de/images/Walkers%20-%20Crisps%20-%20Beef%20&%20Onion.jpg

There's another flavour that sounds vegetarian but isn't.  Cheese and Onion maybe?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/09 at 2:03 pm

next time i'm in a chinese restaurant i'm going to order nutless chicken with cashew nuts. or chicken with cashew non-nuts.

omg! NonNuts! someone should totally market that. some kinda weird synthetic imitation nuts for people with nut allergies. it would probably be disgusting but "NonNuts" would make a cool label.

I knew someone who went into a McDonald's and asked for a cheeseburger without the cheese. The woman said, "We don't make it that way."

Of course the guy was stoned at the time.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/09 at 3:53 pm

first of alll ..... I WANT SOME!!!

secondly-  sorry karen this is off topic...

Yo tomario you totally need to rearrange your "To List"... for pete's sake please put Lindsay last.. I mean who knows what disease she now carries...do you really want to spread that to the other fine actresses on your list (or Uma)?  ;D

At least Sandy's safe.  ;)

Written By: Kryllith on 01/12/09 at 5:00 pm

first of alll ..... I WANT SOME!!!

Me too. That reminds me of the Dorito test sample they released a year or so ago that tasted of hamburgers... mmmm good.

Written By: Tia on 01/12/09 at 5:12 pm

i will now suck all the oxygen out of this thread with a slavoj zizek quote.

Slavoj Zizek has noted the philosophical importance of such cultural artifacts,though I dissent from the importance he attaches to them: namely that theremoval of malignant properties is a refusal of the Real understood mostfundamentally as the malignant. See Slavoj Zizek,The Puppet and the Dwarf: ThePerverse Core of Christianity (Cambridge: MIT Press, 2003), 95–96: “The‘postmetaphysical’ survivalist stance of the Last Men ends up in an anemic spectacle of life dragging on as its own shadow. In today’s market, we find awhole series of products deprived of their malignant property: coffee withoutcaffeine, cream without fat, beer without alcohol . . . And the list goes on: whatabout virtual sex as sex without sex, the Colin Powell doctrine of warfare withno casualties (on our side of course) as warfare without warfare, thecontemporary redefinition of politics as the art of expert administration as politicswithout politics, up to today’s tolerant liberal multiculturalism as an experienceof the Other deprived of its Otherness (the idealized Other who dancesfascinating dances, and has an ecologically sound, holistic approach to reality,while features like wife-beating remain out of sight)?â€

totally would explain how you might encounter a product that would warn that it might actually contain itself...

http://communio-icr.com/articles/PDF/hanby31-2.pdf

Written By: Dagwood on 01/12/09 at 5:30 pm

I knew someone who went into a McDonald's and asked for a cheeseburger without the cheese. The woman said, "We don't make it that way."

Of course the guy was stoned at the time.

Cat

I used to work at a fast food restaurant.  We had a customer who would order his hamburger plus cheese because he didn't like our cheeseburgers. ::)

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/09 at 6:05 pm

I used to work at a fast food restaurant.  We had a customer who would order his hamburger plus cheese because he didn't like our cheeseburgers. ::)

That's funny... at McDonald's I can order a double cheeseburger no cheese but I cannot order a double hamburger.  ::)

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/12/09 at 9:51 pm

Aah but pine nuts are not a 'true' nut they are seeds.  Which might make a difference to an allergy sufferer.
ALL Nuts (besides peanuts) are seeds.  Pine nuts are an allergin to anyone who suffers from "tree nut allergies"

The following common nuts are considered tree nuts under U.S. law:  almond; Brazil nut; cashew; chestnut; filbert/hazelnut; macadamia nut; pecan; pine nut (pignolia nut); pistachio; walnut.
The following are uncommon, additional tree nuts that require disclosure by U.S. law.  However, the risk of an allergic reaction to these nuts is unknown: beechnut; ginkgo; shea nut; butternut; hickory; chinquapin; lychee nut; coconut; pili nut.

Yes people who are allergic to "tree" nuts are usually allergic to them all in some form or another; although people who are allergic to peanuts are usually just allergic to peanuts

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/12/09 at 9:55 pm

But McDonald's French Fries are not - they are coated with a Beef coating to make them taste better since they switched from lard to oils in the 80's (remember when everyone hated their fries - they started coating them with the beef flavoring everyone loves them again)!  Along with their Chicken Breasts (do not know why they are coated with beef flavoring, but I guess people like Chicken that tastes like beef?????

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/09 at 10:08 pm

But McDonald's French Fries are not - they are coated with a Beef coating to make them taste better since they switched from lard to oils in the 80's (remember when everyone hated their fries - they started coating them with the beef flavoring everyone loves them again)!  Along with their Chicken Breasts (do not know why they are coated with beef flavoring, but I guess people like Chicken that tastes like beef?????

dun-dun-dun-dun- dun- duh.....

SO MEATY!

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj119/tamjhampton/soup.jpg

Written By: karen on 01/12/09 at 11:05 pm

ALL Nuts (besides peanuts) are seeds.  Pine nuts are an allergin to anyone who suffers from "tree nut allergies"

The following common nuts are considered tree nuts under U.S. law:  almond; Brazil nut; cashew; chestnut; filbert/hazelnut; macadamia nut; pecan; pine nut (pignolia nut); pistachio; walnut.
The following are uncommon, additional tree nuts that require disclosure by U.S. law.  However, the risk of an allergic reaction to these nuts is unknown: beechnut; ginkgo; shea nut; butternut; hickory; chinquapin; lychee nut; coconut; pili nut.

Yes people who are allergic to "tree" nuts are usually allergic to them all in some form or another; although people who are allergic to peanuts are usually just allergic to peanuts

I meant that they are a seed whereas some other nuts are the fruit of the tree.

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/12/09 at 11:10 pm

I meant that they are a seed whereas some other nuts are the fruit of the tree.
All fruits are seeds (Apples - grow apple trees, oranges - grow orange trees, hickory nuts - grow hickory trees, acorns - grow acorns, chestnuts grow chestnut trees - etc... Pinecones are the fruit of pine trees) 

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/09 at 11:20 pm

warning... a degree in agricultural should be obtained before reading this thread

;D

quick someone pass the seeded nuts  ;)

Written By: Tia on 01/12/09 at 11:28 pm

yeah my mom's been a vegetarian for decades but she also used to eat mcd's french fries all the time. at this point i don't have the heart to tell her.

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/13/09 at 8:10 am

yeah my mom's been a vegetarian for decades but she also used to eat mcd's french fries all the time. at this point i don't have the heart to tell her.
I had a friend who was a vegetarian, I finally had to come out and tell her (she was not a vegan, she did eat dairy and eggs), so she was not tooo disturbed

Written By: tomario on 01/13/09 at 5:19 pm

Yo tomario you totally need to rearrange your "To List"... for pete's sake please put Lindsay last.. I mean who knows what disease she now carries...do you really want to spread that to the other fine actresses on your list (or Uma)? 

Snozz you dissing the Lohan? >:( I know she is clean... she has a woman in twice a day !  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...