» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Shopper asked for ID to buy teaspoons

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/09 at 11:43 am

A shopper was left baffled after she was asked for proof of age to buy a set of teaspoons at Asda.

The shop assistant reportedly informed the customer that someone had once been murdered with a teaspoon, and therefore age identification was now required.

The woman had also bought plates and picnic ware at the Halifax branch in West Yorkshire, reports the Daily Telegraph.

The receipt for the sale was published on nannyknowsbest.blogspot.com, which aims to "expose and resist the all pervasive nanny state that is corroding the way of life and the freedom of the people of Britain".

The site was subsequently bombarded with comments and suggestions for other items that could cause harm.

Peter McCarthy, the Asda Halifax store manager, said he was unaware of the spoon ID rule.

He said: "The customer will have been asked for age identification by the assistant when prompted by the till. I'm not aware of an age restriction for spoons.

"It's most likely a mix-up with the bar codes."

Subject: Re: Shopper asked for ID to buy teaspoons

Written By: karen on 05/10/09 at 8:40 pm

Peter McCarthy, the Asda Halifax store manager, said he was unaware of the spoon ID rule.

He said: "The customer will have been asked for age identification by the assistant when prompted by the till. I'm not aware of an age restriction for spoons.

"It's most likely a mix-up with the bar codes."

Probably has all cutlery listed because it includes selling knives.  Gasp!

I can still remember buying a first set of cutlery for James and having the assistant checking my age.  You have to be over 18 to buy it but it was ok to give to an 1 year old!

Check for new replies or respond here...