» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Parcel arrives - after 27 years

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/10 at 11:40 am

Royal Mail took nearly three decades to deliver a woman's exam certificates just six miles.

Gill Smeathers received the package postmarked 4 November 1982, 27 years three months and two days overdue, reports the Daily Telegraph.

It contained four secretarial certificates issued to her daughter Tracy, who now lives in Canada, from a course she took at Kettering Technical College.

The cylindrical tube, still complete with 12.5p stamp, had travelled from Kettering to her home in Wellingborough, Northants.

Mrs Smeathers, a retired office worker, said: "I knew instantly when I saw the name of the college what it was.

"Tracy and I had a good laugh about it when I told her, but I'm not sending it to her. I'm keeping hold of it this time.

"Tracy thought I had received the certificates and I thought she had them so we never even realised they were missing.

"I'd love to know where it's been all these years. I can only think it must have fallen behind a cupboard and got lost."

Royal Mail believes that parcel was franked by the original sender and never posted. It has a more recent Milton Keynes postmark dated 15 February 2010.

Check for new replies or respond here...