» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Woman breaks record for slowest Channel swim

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/10 at 2:59 pm

A 56-year-old woman who used to weigh 20 stone before she had a gastric bypass in November has become the slowest person ever to swim the Channel.

Jackie Cobell from Tonbridge, Kent, took 28 hours and 44 minutes to get from Dover to Calais on Sunday after swimming 64 miles instead of the 21-mile direct route.

Mrs Cobell's circuitous trip to Calais was due to being pushed wildly off course by the strong tides.

She 'beat' the previous record, set by Henry Sullivan in 1923, by one hour and 56 minutes, reports the Daily Telegraph.

"I kept seeing the beach and thinking I was nearly there, then the tide would sweep me along the coast," she said.

"It has been very different swimming since I lost eight stone. I never used to get cold and I'm not as buoyant now, but I am a lot fitter and I don't have to worry about having high blood pressure."

Her husband David, who followed in a boat, said: "There were times when she seemed to be moving away from the beach rather than towards it and her stroke was getting weaker and weaker, but I wasn't ready for the amount of energy and persistence she had in doing the job."

Subject: Re: Woman breaks record for slowest Channel swim

Written By: danootaandme on 07/29/10 at 4:29 am

I would bet the slowest is harder than the fastest.

(That's what she said!)

Written By: Paul on 07/29/10 at 6:56 am

Reminds me of the old joke about the Irishman trying to swim it lengthways...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/30/10 at 12:14 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvk2wNWmB20

Check for new replies or respond here...