» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Shop worker wins millionaire's £1.4m mansion

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/10 at 3:42 pm

A £1.4 million mansion raffled off by its owner for charity because his money made him miserable has been won by a health food shop worker.

Organisers say the winner - a 49-year old woman from southern Germany - won the luxury Alpine villa in Telfs, Austria, after buying a single 99 euro ticket.

Austrian businessman Karl Rabeder decided to give his his entire £3million fortune to charity when he realised his life of luxury had never made him happy.

Mr Rabeder, 48 - who now lives in a bedsit - said: "She was speechless when I called her to tell her she'd won. She just couldn't believe it."

The lucky woman, who did not want to be named, said: "My husband called me and said I had to come home straight away. Of course your first thought is, what's happened?

"He cried and said it's nothing bad, you've won a house. I am speechless. I am struggling with my emotions because you never think that something great like this will happen to you."

Mr Rabeder says he will show the winner around the villa once the hype is over but that he was delighted about her reaction.

"I'm sure I wont miss it because I'm not leaving the mountains, a wonder would have to happen to get me away from here, it's just too beautiful," he said.

The tycoon has set up a series of charity projects to fund causes in Third World countries where people can use small amounts of cash to start businesses or improve their lives.

Check for new replies or respond here...