» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Kite surfer jumps over Brighton Pier

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/10 at 5:48 pm

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/49912000/jpg/_49912952_jex_13619_de52-1.jpg
Kite surfer Lewis Crathern on Brighton Beach Lewis Crathern kite surfed over Worthing Pier in November 2009

One of the UK's leading kite surfers harnessed winds of more than 60mph (96km/h) to jump over Brighton Pier.

Professional kite surfer Lewis Crathern, 25, of Worthing, West Sussex, cleared the 50ft (15m) structure during stormy weather on Thursday.

Mr Crathern, who jumped over Worthing Pier in 2009, navigated the waves for about two hours before attempting the feat.

He said: "It's a nice view. Not many people can say they've had that view.

The former British champion said: "I have to be on the water and feel the conditions are possible and it's on.

"Yesterday I slowly moved down to the pier and assessed the waves - there's not really an actual process, it just feels right."

Mr Crathern added: "It was pretty amazing, I'd it in my brain quite a few times before, you have to do that to prepare for it, so I knew what it would look like, kind of."

He said safety was important and the jump should not be attempted by amateurs.

"I have a really good team that come and follow me so they're all on the pier making sure the public can't get between the area I've marked out - where I want to go.

"Safety is obviously a major concern about it and I don't want to put anyone else at risk," Mr Crathern explained.

A spokesman for the RNLI said they recognised that Mr Crathern was an experienced kite surfer and cleared the pier with room to spare but urged no-one else to try the stunt.

Subject: Re: Kite surfer jumps over Brighton Pier

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/10 at 5:50 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZE81zEy4uk

Check for new replies or respond here...