» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Man drags piano up mountain for elephants

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/11 at 5:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKcks_4uLmA

A British man dragged a piano up a mountain in Thailand - to play Beethoven for blind elephants.

Paul Barton, 50, achieved a long-held ambition as he sat behind his piano, just feet away from the elephants.

He decided to do the challenge to help raise funds for the blind elephants, which live in a reserve on the mountains of Kanchanaburi.

Mr Barton said: "It was a 50th birthday present to myself. My wife and I have been working with blind elephants for many years, and I thought it might be something they would enjoy to listen to.

"I sat down and thought, what do you play to an elephant? You only get a short time, so I started trawling through my books and then Slow movement 2 from Beethoven's Pathitique Sonata just stuck.

"I had to drag the piano up a mountain, I have a really bad back, but I wanted to make the effort so I could feel like I had undergone a personal challenge."

Yorkshire-born Mr Barton moved to Thailand 16 years ago with his wife to be closer to the elephants.

He hopes to put on a concert with him and the elephants before the end of the year to raise money for an electric fence.

Check for new replies or respond here...