inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Japanese repurpose Russian game into something entirely new - Human Tetris

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/25/07 at 2:00 pm

http://www.weirdasianews.com/2007/10/24/i-challenge-you-to-a-game-of-human-tetris/

love it...

Subject: Re: Japanese repurpose Russian game into something entirely new - Human Tetris

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/28/07 at 2:34 pm

I do not think I could do that with my back!

Subject: Re: Japanese repurpose Russian game into something entirely new - Human Tetris

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/07 at 1:28 pm

That last one was dangerous.  The Japanese always do weird game shows.  Don't they have simple shows like 'Tokyo Squares' or 'Family Feud'? ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/30/07 at 4:44 am

"repurpose"  ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/30/07 at 8:31 am

"repurpose"  ???

http://www.bartleby.com/61/86/R0168650.html

To use or convert for use in another format or product: repurposed the book as a compact disk.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/30/07 at 8:54 am

http://www.bartleby.com/61/86/R0168650.html

To use or convert for use in another format or product: repurposed the book as a compact disk.

yeah, I figured, but it's another one of those words that is like fingernails on a blackboard, in the same vein as "impacted"

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/30/07 at 11:43 am

yeah, I figured, but it's another one of those words that is like fingernails on a blackboard, in the same vein as "impacted"

you'll have to educate me as to why either of those words is bad...

Written By: danootaandme on 10/30/07 at 3:48 pm

you'll have to educate me as to why either of those words is bad...

I wouldn't call them bad, just, for some reason, pretentious.  I find it hard to explain, but, knowing others feel the same way I looked it up, and found this explanation.

www.contentious.com/archives/2005/10/22/verbal-abuse-impacted-ugh/

Unless you’re talking about one object physically striking another (as in: The grammar guide that Amy hurled across the room impacted her head sharply.), the better course is to learn how to use “affect” and “effect” correctly. Learn their correct synonyms, too. English is a rich language – we have lots of good synonyms.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/30/07 at 4:07 pm

I wouldn't call them bad, just, for some reason, pretentious.  I find it hard to explain, but, knowing others feel the same way I looked it up, and found this explanation.

www.contentious.com/archives/2005/10/22/verbal-abuse-impacted-ugh/

Unless you’re talking about one object physically striking another (as in: The grammar guide that Amy hurled across the room impacted her head sharply.), the better course is to learn how to use “affect” and “effect” correctly. Learn their correct synonyms, too. English is a rich language – we have lots of good synonyms.

I think the person that wrote that should have very little "impact" on the language... >grin< 

guess it's from reading too much business crap over the years.

Check for new replies or respond here...