inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Time travel

Written By: KKay on 01/20/08 at 7:43 am

I'm watching the movie Primer.  It's an excellent indie about two men and the construction (very realistic) of their time machine.

from internet, a good description:  It's complicated, but it's a good lesson in time travel.  Has anyone seen it?

Many people I’ve spoken to find the time travel in the film confusing and can’t follow the logic. I think it’s partly because you are only seeing the time loop from the linear perspective of the characters and not from the outside.

If you take a length of string and stretch it out straight that would be the normal flow of time in a day. Now if you create a loop with that same piece of string you have the loop that Abe and Aaron enter into each day. The point at which the string is doubled is the point at which two sets of men exist. The first set on the continuous path approaching the loop are Abe and Aaron locked in the hotel room. At the same time their future selves have come back in time and are out playing the stock market. The future selves relive the same slice of time and continue on their way without having to get back in the time machine at the end of the day. At one point in the film one character comments on how his body is finally adjusting to the 36 hour days making a reference to the total length of their day when added up.

Where the film breaks down and becomes even more muddled is when director and writer Shane Carruth attempts to expand on the simple premise of the time loop as described above.

Abe and Aaron become fixated with the problem of causality and fear upsetting the timeline when they are reliving the same piece of time. Part of their safeguards includes staying in the hotel for the entire day to avoid running into themselves. Never mind the fact they have already altered the timeline by playing the stock market the second time around. The point soon becomes irrelevant as Aaron starts to entertain revenge fantasies about using the time machine to get even with people.

Subject: Re: Time travel

Written By: snozberries on 01/20/08 at 9:50 am

Haven't seen it but I will look for it. 

I love movies and tv shows that play with the concept of the space time continuum and time travel...

I find myself wondering what effect the visit has... if we're told within the story.

Like with Primer.... not only do the characters affect the future by messing with the stock market but what about that hotel room they stayed in....

had that room been rented in past by someone else?
if so what happened to the person or persons who rented the room?

what if the universe itself knew about the "trip" 
perhaps they time traveled because they were supposed to and therefore, they changed nothing, because everything played out the way it was designed to...

Its complicated, compelling stuff.... 

Written By: KKay on 01/20/08 at 8:05 pm

it is. and in this film, there is nothing fanciful about it.  they battle their consciences ...makeing sure they leave some htings alone, but then being tempted by what could be done.  at the same time they are true engineers, intrigued by the entire process and how to improve it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2AfB1POoHZQ&feature=related

Written By: holicman on 01/20/08 at 11:32 pm

I once put instant coffee into the microwave and almost went back in time.

Written By: KKay on 01/21/08 at 7:30 am

lol. almost?  is part of you still there?

i love instant coffee.

Written By: holicman on 01/24/08 at 11:29 pm

lol. almost?  is part of you still there?

i love instant coffee.

sorry, Yeah I just got back from the Beatles official Abbey Road album recording ...........part of me is still here, but the other part wants to be back there ;)

Written By: KKay on 01/25/08 at 7:43 am

sorry, Yeah I just got back from the Beatles official Abbey Road album recording ...........part of me is still here, but the other part wants to be back there ;)

haaaaaahaaaaa

that would be a fun place to be. next time sneak out some pens or letterhead or something. :)

Written By: Tia on 01/25/08 at 8:55 am

i love that britney video where she's all high and she starts talking about time travel.

http://scifi.uk.com/2006/08/06/britney-spears-on-science-fiction/

britney wants to believe!

Written By: KKay on 01/25/08 at 10:42 am

nothing happened. 

my belief hinges on what britney has to say.  i'll have to go find it elsewhere.

Written By: Tia on 01/25/08 at 12:26 pm

nothing happened. 

my belief hinges on what britney has to say.  i'll have to go find it elsewhere.

just google "britney stoned." your computer will explode with search results revealing the shocking truth about time travel, as revealed by ms. spears. it's a youtube vid. a couple years old but just gets funnier every time you see it.

Written By: KKay on 01/25/08 at 4:05 pm

just google "britney stoned." your computer will explode with search results revealing the shocking truth about time travel, as revealed by ms. spears. it's a youtube vid. a couple years old but just gets funnier every time you see it.

on my way right now. i'll report back.

Written By: snozberries on 01/27/08 at 11:20 am

on my way right now. i'll report back.

her computer must have exploded...she never came back  :(

Written By: Tia on 01/27/08 at 11:38 am

her computer must have exploded...she never came back  :(
maybe she went back in time to save britney!

Written By: KKay on 01/28/08 at 7:12 am

maybe she went back in time to save britney!

i wnet back in time.  Britney is funny even in a cave.  Even on one of those one-big-wheel antique bicycles.
Even in a poodle skirt.

Check for new replies or respond here...