inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fake or real ?? you decide

Written By: holicman on 01/21/08 at 7:36 am

Ive come up with this idea to see who thinks what is fake and what is real.

Here is the first one........You decide :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjWQcT4qGUU&feature=related

Subject: Re: Fake or real ?? you decide

Written By: KKay on 01/21/08 at 7:51 am

i get what you wanna do. you should only be able to see half of it before it ends.

Written By: Tia on 01/21/08 at 8:01 am

totally fake! he says he has a "mental sketch" of where he's going but he totally doesnt, you can tell.

anyone ever see the one with the kid who jumps on the liferaft and it blows up this dude's head who's inflating the raft? i wont link to it cuz it's pretty repulsive. but i've always wondered about that, everyone sez it's fake but i'm not so sure.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/21/08 at 8:47 am

A decent fake, but it seems to me that a camera would go flying in an accident, not merely get dropped.

Ant

Written By: KKay on 01/21/08 at 8:49 am

one sign that something is fake right noff the bat is that they provide lighting.

no one is ever prepared with lighting.

Written By: Tia on 01/21/08 at 8:50 am

A decent fake, but it seems to me that a camera would go flying in an accident, not merely get dropped.

Ant
there are also special effects, the twirling v-hold and this weird kinda iris-like, vortex-y twisting of the image... those are video effects added after the fact. very atmospheric so if you're in the moment watching the vid you dont see them but they stick out like a sore thumb.

what's weird is how many people in the comments section who're willing to say it ISN'T fake. you dont usually see that, i dont think.

Written By: KKay on 01/21/08 at 8:51 am

there are also special effects, the twirling v-hold and this weird kinda iris-like, vortex-y twisting of the image... those are video effects added after the fact. very atmospheric so if you're in the moment watching the vid you dont see them but they stick out like a sore thumb.

good point.
let's just say if the word 'ghost' is on it, and it's online, you got your answer right there.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/21/08 at 8:59 am

totally fake! he says he has a "mental sketch" of where he's going but he totally doesnt, you can tell.

anyone ever see the one with the kid who jumps on the liferaft and it blows up this dude's head who's inflating the raft? i wont link to it cuz it's pretty repulsive. but i've always wondered about that, everyone sez it's fake but i'm not so sure.

I've got that animated image saved on my hard drive. I was going to use it as an avatar at one point, but decided it was too repulsive. Totally fake - there's no way your head would explode like that - at worst, you might get a set of ruptured lungs.

I hadn't noticed the video effects because I fast fowarded through most of the movie thinking it was an elaborate screamer prank, something I'd like to avoid at 10 in the morning.

Ant

Written By: Tia on 01/21/08 at 9:07 am

I've got that animated image saved on my hard drive. I was going to use it as an avatar at one point, but decided it was too repulsive. Totally fake - there's no way your head would explode like that - at worst, you might get a set of ruptured lungs.

I hadn't noticed the video effects because I fast fowarded through most of the movie thinking it was an elaborate screamer prank, something I'd like to avoid at 10 in the morning.

Ant
counterpoint! i really have no idea what would happen if a liferaft worth of air was shoved into your head at once. i find the idea that your head would explode to be doubtful but i really dont know for sure.

but the thing that gets me is, up to the second the kid jumps on the raft the dude is obviously real, his lips and cheeks are moving on the liferaft nozzle. i cant imagine a low-tech way to fake the head explosion with a computer unless you had a big studio so they must have swiped the guy for a dummy in some kind of matchcut. but if they did it's seamless. i really have had trouble convincing myself about that, because although yeah, it's hard to believe, at the same time i dont see any obvious visual evidence that it's fake. in fact his eyes and cheeks REALLY inflate right before his head blows up, it's rather convincing.

back... and to the left...

Written By: Davester on 01/21/08 at 9:31 am

Ghost girl is a babe...

Written By: Tia on 01/21/08 at 9:33 am

Ghost girl is a babe...
i like it when her flesh melts off. that's hot. :P

Written By: Red Ant on 01/21/08 at 9:35 am

counterpoint! i really have no idea what would happen if a liferaft worth of air was shoved into your head at once. i find the idea that your head would explode to be doubtful but i really dont know for sure.

but the thing that gets me is, up to the second the kid jumps on the raft the dude is obviously real, his lips and cheeks are moving on the liferaft nozzle. i cant imagine a low-tech way to fake the head explosion with a computer unless you had a big studio so they must have swiped the guy for a dummy in some kind of matchcut. but if they did it's seamless. i really have had trouble convincing myself about that, because although yeah, it's hard to believe, at the same time i dont see any obvious visual evidence that it's fake. in fact his eyes and cheeks REALLY inflate right before his head blows up, it's rather convincing.

back... and to the left...

Lol! ^. We're studying this .gif like it's the Zapruder film.

Here's why I call fake:

~The kid only jumps on the corner of the raft, so it's not a huge volume of air going into that guy's head.
~The raft is inflated so that it barely has a shape: in other words, like one psi of pressure. Jumping on it would generate a slightly higher pressure, but not nearly enough to cause the grenade-like explosion.
~Pushing a fatal amount of air through a tube that small would require several hundred psi and the man's lips being able to stay sealed to the tube. Note the raft would burst long before the guy's head does.
~The biggest giveaway is the lack of arterial blood flow or spurt. There is no blood pumped up from the carotid artery at all.
~There's also what appears to be smoke left over where the man's head used to be, indicating an explosion.

Also:

~The man never moves on his own. I've looked several times and don't see any movement by him. Using a dummy from the get-go would preclude the need for editing the clip to make a swap. The motion comes from the kid and raft. It's clever deception: he looks real so we think he is real.

Odd:

~The straw/nozzle appears to be much longer after the explosion than before. There's enough extra that the man would have been using it like a trach tube!

The editing is seemless to me as well, so it's a high quality fake. Maybe we can get Mythbusters to look into this one!

Ghost girl is a babe...

May be a Succubus. 

Ant

Written By: Davester on 01/21/08 at 9:37 am

May be a Succubus. 

Ant

If I remember my D&D correctly, that's not a good thing... ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 01/21/08 at 4:47 pm

May be a Succubus. 

Then The people in the car should've sang "Come Sail Away" backwards.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...