inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: First Pregnant Man...

Written By: sugar168 on 03/26/08 at 6:28 pm

http://guanabee.com/2008/03/meet-thomas-beatie-hes-pregnan-1.php

Meet Thomas Beatie. He was born biologically female, had sex reassignment surgery, and is now legally male. When his wife, Nancy, was unable to have children, Thomas, who still has female genitalia, decided he’d carry their baby himself. And thus became the world’s first pregnant man. A process which, unsurprisingly, hasn’t been too easy:

Our situation sparks legal, political, and social unknowns. We have only begun experiencing opposition from people who are upset by our situation. Doctors have discriminated against us, turning us away due to their religious beliefs. Health care professionals have refused to call me by a male pronoun or recognize Nancy as my wife. Receptionists have laughed at us. Friends and family have been unsupportive; most of Nancy’s family doesn’t even know I’m transgender.

And we thought nothing could shock our parents more than the news we’re dating a Protestant. Beatie’s first attempt at pregnancy was ectopic, but his second try was successful. Now five months pregnant, Thomas hopes his story will help foster dialogue about the nature of family and our bodies:

How does it feel to be a pregnant man? Incredible. Despite the fact that my belly is growing with a new life inside me, I am stable and confident being the man that I am. In a technical sense I see myself as my own surrogate, though my gender identity as male is constant. To Nancy, I am her husband carrying our child—I am so lucky to have such a loving, supportive wife. I will be my daughter’s father, and Nancy will be her mother. We will be a family.

Seahorses are all, like, “Whatever.” When we first heard about this story, we immediately thought about those men who announce “We’re pregnant!,” because they can completely empathize with carrying around an extra several dozen pounds, sore nipples, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, swollen ankles and stretch marks for the better part of a year, resulting in pushing out a squirming, helpless creature that will bite on your nipples, keep you up at night and eventually grow to hate you. In any case! …What are your thoughts on Thomas and his pregnancy?

Subject: Re: First Pregnant Man...

Written By: sugar168 on 03/26/08 at 6:30 pm

Interview with the man...

http://advocate.com/issue_story.asp?id=52664&page=1

Written By: karen on 03/26/08 at 10:14 pm

This was just on the news.  They couldn't get to speak to the man himself; he will be available in a week and a half for interview.  However they did talk to a neighbour who said that he spoke to the guy a couple of days ago and he didn't have any sort of belly on him at all let alone look five months pregnant.

Written By: Green Lantern on 03/27/08 at 7:09 am

Further info:

A man who used to be a woman before having gender reassignment surgery claims he is five months pregnant and expecting a baby girl in July.

Thomas Beatie, who is married and from the US state of Oregon, has written an article in the gay magazine Advocate, saying it feels "incredible" to be a "pregnant man". He adds: "Despite the fact that my belly is growing with a new life inside me, I am stable and confident being the man that I am."

Yes, over here in Australia ... this has also made our headline / main news programs. In fact, I  managed to capture an image from my  built in digital tv tuner. Here's our local newscaster, reporting that event ! ......

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/8048/mrmumux1.jpg

For the record .........  >:( ......... I would like to state that I  was nowhere NEAR Oregon last year !  >:(

:D

Written By: snozberries on 03/27/08 at 9:31 pm

I'm so confused.... I mean... does that mean he cheated on his wife with a man? Or was there some sort of artificial insemination....I mean what woman chooses to become a man and then says....oh wait I want to have a baby too... I don't buy it.

It must be a stunt to garner attention...

Written By: Jessica on 03/27/08 at 9:34 pm

I'm so confused.... I mean... does that mean he cheated on his wife with a man? Or was there some sort of artificial insemination....I mean what woman chooses to become a man and then says....oh wait I want to have a baby too... I don't buy it.

From what I've read, She became a He because in their home state of Hawai'i, same sex marriage is not allowed. She took the testosterone and such and got chest reconstruction, but kept the girlie bits. I guess it was just enough to be declared legally a man so she could marry her partner.

It was apparently an artificial insemination with a sperm donor.

And I'll believe it when I see it. All this secrecy leads me to believe it is a load of hooey. ::)

Written By: Green Lantern on 03/27/08 at 9:35 pm

Did you ever manage to get that sink full of dishes done / eat snoz ?

Written By: snozberries on 03/27/08 at 9:41 pm

From what I've read, She became a He because in their home state of Hawai'i, same sex marriage is not allowed. She took the testosterone and such and got chest reconstruction, but kept the girlie bits. I guess it was just enough to be declared legally a man so she could marry her partner.

And I'll believe it when I see it. All this secrecy leads me to believe it is a load of hooey. ::)

well I guess that makes some sense.... sort of

Did you ever manage to get that sink full of dishes done / eat snoz ?

lol  washed just the four dishes I needed to cook/eat and pushed the rest aside...I'm so lazy...today I found some cash so I ate out... I need the how clean is your house ladies to come by... or Peter Walsh  ;D

Written By: gumbypiz on 03/27/08 at 10:11 pm

Is The Pregnant Man A Hoax?

This may be an elaborate hoax or early April Fools joke...time will tell.  :-\\

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/30/08 at 1:42 pm

His doctor has come out and explained the situation.  Coincidentally with it being known even in the slighted bit he is putting himself, his partner/wife and the unborn child at risk.  There are some messed up people who kill transgender and transsexual people for kicks.  Hence the secrecy. 

Written By: sugar168 on 03/30/08 at 3:59 pm

i don't know it seems still a bit odd-then really its not a man who is prego-just a woman that looks like one...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/30/08 at 4:06 pm

i don't know it seems still a bit odd-then really its not a man who is prego-just a woman that looks like one...

Yes, it's gonna look odd.  But think of it this way.  Maybe it'll give men a preview of "what could happen if they could become pregnant".  I think it might be an eye opening experience.

Written By: snozberries on 03/30/08 at 4:51 pm

Yes, it's gonna look odd.  But think of it this way.  Maybe it'll give men a preview of "what could happen if they could become pregnant".  I think it might be an eye opening experience.

no,  an eye opening experience would be allowing them to get pregnant but denying them a cesarean 

;D

Written By: Green Lantern on 03/30/08 at 5:40 pm

no,  an eye opening experience would be allowing them to get pregnant but denying them a cesarean 

;D

'Eye opening experience' ??  ???

I would have thought that would lead to a 'leg opening'  experience !  :o

Being born from the eye .... interesting.  ::)

In the town  eye ..... where eye was born .....
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/4103/eyeballfr7.gif
      ^
"It's a girl !"  8)  :)

We all live in a yellow submarine ......

:D

Written By: wildcard on 03/30/08 at 10:15 pm

Is The Pregnant Man A Hoax?

This may be an elaborate hoax or early April Fools joke...time will tell.  :-\\

An April Fool's joke was the first thing that came to my mind. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/31/08 at 9:20 pm

;D

Ouch.

Written By: ninny on 11/06/08 at 11:48 am

The first pregnant man will be on The Discovery Health channel Tuesday 11/18 at 9pm

It should be an interesting show.

Written By: snozberries on 11/16/08 at 4:46 pm

The first pregnant man will be on The Discovery Health channel Tuesday 11/18 at 9pm

It should be an interesting show.

by the way he's pregnant again

Written By: Dagwood on 11/16/08 at 6:06 pm

He's creepy.

Written By: snozberries on 11/16/08 at 6:15 pm

He's creepy.

they both kind of are...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/16/08 at 8:24 pm

by the way he's pregnant again

Most transsexuals want to blend in and not want recognition.  Making a statement is one thing but he's pissing off his own kind.

Written By: snozberries on 11/30/08 at 12:29 pm

Most transsexuals want to blend in and not want recognition.  Making a statement is one thing but he's pissing off his own kind.

that was my point. IF you're gonna do then do it but stop making a spectacle of yourself.... plus I say you can't have your cake and eat it to. You either want to be a man or you want to be a woman.

I'm still trying to figure out how a kid grows up learning that they "grew in daddy's tummy" only to learn biology later... that kid is gonna be really confused. I think.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/30/08 at 4:02 pm

that was my point. IF you're gonna do then do it but stop making a spectacle of yourself.... plus I say you can't have your cake and eat it to. You either want to be a man or you want to be a woman.

I'm still trying to figure out how a kid grows up learning that they "grew in daddy's tummy" only to learn biology later... that kid is gonna be really confused. I think.

In all honesty one of my closest friends is trans and she was horrified.  She made that point too.  You cant be everything.  One has to wonder if he really has gender dysphoria.  yeah, the kid's going to be confused.

Written By: snozberries on 11/30/08 at 4:30 pm

In all honesty one of my closest friends is trans and she was horrified.  She made that point too.  You cant be everything.  One has to wonder if he really has gender dysphoria.  yeah, the kid's going to be confused.

Yeah I have a gender dysphoric friend too. We have not talked about this issue but I suspect knowing her as I do that she would agree with us as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...