inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: JPL: A bunch of hoopy froods who know where their towel is.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/25/08 at 10:42 pm

It's been a pretty good Towel Day, and what better way to celebrate than to raise a toast to Phoenix's succesful evasion of the ever-watchful Martian Defense Force. 

Subject: Re: JPL: A bunch of hoopy froods who know where their towel is.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/25/08 at 10:58 pm

A good towel day indeed!  I should play the text game "Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy" in honor.

Although I didn't get around to washing mine like I thought I would today...  :-\\

Glad Phoenix made it to Mars and didn't become a Phoenix rising from it's ashes.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/25/08 at 11:48 pm

A good towel day indeed!  I should play the text game "Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy" in honor.

...and failing that, you can always read the story about the unreleased sequel to the game.  A couple of months ago, someone managed to find a dusty hard drive from one of Infocom's old development servers... and you can read the thread for the rest.  Despite the flames, the thread turned into something of a reunion of Implementors.

Glad Phoenix made it to Mars and didn't become a Phoenix rising from it's ashes.

Well, in a way, it's both.  The spacecraft currently sending back pictures from Mars was largely cobbled together from spare parts from the ill-fated Mars Polar Lander mission (with suitable modifications to the design to take care of most of the most likely means by which MPL could have failed.)  Hence, "Phoenix".

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/25/08 at 11:52 pm

...and failing that, you can always read the story about the unreleased sequel to the game.  A couple of months ago, someone managed to find a dusty hard drive from one of Infocom's old development servers... and you can read the thread for the rest.  Despite the flames, the thread turned into something of a reunion of Implementors.

How cool is that!
Except I never made it off the bridge of the Heart of Gold.  Yeah I suck.  But that's ok, I always had Marvin the Paranoid Android to keep me company.  *sigh* 

Well, in a way, it's both.  The spacecraft currently sending back pictures from Mars was largely cobbled together from spare parts from the ill-fated Mars Polar Lander mission (with suitable modifications to the design to take care of most of the most likely means by which MPL could have failed.)  Hence, "Phoenix".

I guess everybody is into recycling these days.  I wonder if they got a return for the leftover scrap metal.  :D

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/28/08 at 9:35 pm

It's not quite as cool as the Voyager panorama of the entire Solar System, featuring Earth as a pale blue dot, but it's pretty close.  Quite possibly the coolest thing you'll ever see this decade.

You know that amazing feeling you get when you're trawling through Google Maps on satellite view looking for your friend's house, and you come across a jetliner in flight, and it's so clear that you can see the markings on its fuselage?  Well, it's kinda like that, but just a wee bit cooler.

Not bad for a bunch of ape-descendents barely capable of powered flight 100 years ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...