inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 'Plague' Killed 91 Romans - Buried in Mass Grave...

Written By: Davester on 07/23/08 at 11:15 pm

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/_44613132_roman_grave226x282.jpg

These appear to be victims of the Antonine Plague from the time of Marcus Aurelius. The mass grave was discovered in 2005 and was filled with corpses of men, women, and children who were dumped there.  It seems they were killed by smallpox since no evidence of physical trauma was discovered.  DNA tests will be conducted to try and confirm the theory they died in an epidemic...

Years ago an inscription was found in Germany, I think it was Mainz, from a centurio (Roman military officer) fulfilling his vows (arrangement with the gods) if his men would not suffer from the epidemic that raged through the empire.  The inscription is dated between 160 and 180 AD.  It is believed to be the smallpox that was brought into the west by soldiers returning home from campaigns in the east...

The Antonine Plague struck between 165-180 CE.  Could be what killed these 91...

Edited to add link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/gloucestershire/7374836.stm

Subject: Re: 'Plague' Killed 91 Romans - Buried in Mass Grave...

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/25/08 at 12:24 am

It is believed to be the smallpox that was brought into the west by soldiers returning home from campaigns in the east...

I'm a fan of archaeology, and this is actually a really interesting discovery, but (and I'm surely going to hell for this) I can't resist...

"All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?" :)

Written By: Gis on 07/30/08 at 6:52 am

I miss read that as 'plaque killed 91 Romans' Time for new glasses i think...........

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/03/08 at 2:29 pm

I'm a fan of archaeology, and this is actually a really interesting discovery, but (and I'm surely going to hell for this) I can't resist...

"All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?" :)

Karma for Life Of Brian  :)

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/14/08 at 9:53 am

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/_44613132_roman_grave226x282.jpg[/cM

"You've Lost Weight"

Check for new replies or respond here...