inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fake Status Quo Rocker Dupes Dover

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/08 at 6:58 am

A conman has received VIP treatment from a local council for a year by posing as Status Quo rocker Francis Rossi.

He told councillors in Dover he would perform at their festival and bring celebrity friends including Sir Paul McCartney, Charlotte Church, and Queen's Brian May.

In turn, they ttreated him to rides in the Mayor's limousine, posh dinners and an invitation to a high profile event at Dover Castle.

He avoided being rumbled by locals despite appearing in front of crowds to judge a carnival float competition.

Former councillor Vic Matcham, 67, was the first to fall for the lies.

When confronted about why he lacked Rossi's trademark ponytail, the trickster said it was fake and stuck on for gigs as he could no longer get his hair to grow.

The con artist even serenaded people with the Quo hit Rockin' All Over The World - but refused to play the guitar by blaming arthritis - and said he went by the name Graham to remain incognito.

Residents of the Kent town grew suspicious when the trickster failed to turn up for his "set" at the festival.

He has now fled the town - his real identity still shrouded in mystery.

The real Rossi has taken the impersonation in his stride, joking: "I'll never know how he knew the secret about my ponytail

Subject: Re: Fake Status Quo Rocker Dupes Dover

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/14/08 at 5:14 pm

;D

Subject: Re: Fake Status Quo Rocker Dupes Dover

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/08 at 6:06 am

;D
I heard an updated report on this on the radio, the assailant name is now known, but cannot be located.

Check for new replies or respond here...