inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Flip-flops to stop tipsy feeling

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/08 at 12:26 pm

Flip-flops to stop tipsy feeling

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45248000/jpg/_45248514_f21c5042-de3c-4147-86f6-1f18329b65ef.jpg

Late night revellers in a Devon resort are being offered flip-flops to help them get home.

Police in Torquay say it makes it easier for women, rather than struggling along in high heels.

Campaigners The Taxpayers' Alliance said the £30,000 cost of the scheme was an "idiotic waste of money".

Police say it is part of a wider package of the measures including advice on safer sex and a police team who have reduced crime.

The flip-flops, which will be given out from December, will have messages about safe alcohol limits printed on them.

The footwear will be paid for by £30,000 of funding secured from the Home Office by Safer Communities Torbay, an alliance of local authority, police and health services.

The scheme is the latest late-night policing idea in Torbay where "mop cops" order people who urinate in the street to clean up after themselves.

Matthew Elliott of the Taxpayers' Alliance said: "This is an idiotic waste of money.

"People don't pay taxes for drunk women to get free flip-flops, they want police to fight crime.

"Police aren't there to be an emergency supply of flat shoes."

Supt Chris Singer, Torbay Police Commander, said the flip-flops were part of a wider campaign to make the area safer at night.

These included extra officers on duty at night in the harbour area and safer-sex advice, as well as the "mop cops".

He said: "I would be surprised if the cost of the flip-flops was more than £200.

"This is part of a forward-thinking, innovative partnership to make it a safer place to be."

Subject: Re: Flip-flops to stop tipsy feeling

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/28/08 at 1:30 pm

I think people should buy their own flip-flops.  Taxpayers shouldn't have to have their money spend on a intoxicated person ability to walk straight.  Besides no one paid for my flip-flops.

Written By: gibbo on 11/28/08 at 5:40 pm

I think people should buy their own flip-flops.  Taxpayers shouldn't have to have their money spend on a intoxicated person ability to walk straight.  Besides no one paid for my flip-flops.

Agreed..... those are called thongs in Australia. Of course, that term has a different meaning to most on this board. I am wearing thongs right now (on my feet....kinky eh?)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/28/08 at 6:23 pm

Agreed..... those are called thongs in Australia. Of course, that term has a different meaning to most on this board. I am wearing thongs right now (on my feet....kinky eh?)

There are shoes here in the states called thongs.  They're like a combination of flip-flop and sandal.  It's Summer down there isn't it?

Written By: gibbo on 11/28/08 at 7:33 pm

There are shoes here in the states called thongs.  They're like a combination of flip-flop and sandal.  It's Summer down there isn't it?

Yes..it is quite warm and humid today....

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/08 at 3:23 pm

I was hoping that Bobby could tell us more as he leaves close by.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/02/08 at 5:50 pm

You could've applied for a fip-flops grant.  It's easy!  Just ask Matthew Lesko!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/drunken_smilie.gif

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/09/08 at 10:08 pm

You could've applied for a fip-flops grant.  It's easy!  Just ask Matthew Lesko!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/drunken_smilie.gif

Lesko is a fraud.  Besides you know how much paperwork goes into grant writing?

Check for new replies or respond here...