inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Library book return 46 years late

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/09 at 2:07 am

From BBC News Online

A man who borrowed a library book 46 years ago has finally returned it, but avoided a £2,500 fine.

David Hall borrowed the book, Engineering Workshop Practice, for his father from Derby Central Library.

Mr Hall, from Derby, was 10 when he took the book out in 1963 and only came across it again when he was clearing out a loft at his late father's home.

Derby City Council is currently running a books amnesty, which means Mr Hall does not have to pay the fine.

The amnesty, organised by Derby City Libraries, lasts until Wednesday and anyone who has an overdue book on loan can hand it in at any library without being penalised.

The council said on average it raised about £40,000 a year in late fees, which is then reinvested into library services.

Library officials said that if the daily fine rate had been applied over the 46 years, Mr Hall would have faced a fine of approximately £2,500.

Mr Hall said: "I found the book when I was clearing my dad's loft after he died 20 years ago.

"I noticed it was the same one I borrowed all those years ago and I thought…perhaps that should go back to the library. Then I noticed the amnesty and thought, what a great opportunity."

Councillor Joe Naitta, who is responsible for leisure and culture, said the library service wanted to "re-engage" with customers who had incurred fines.

"With this amnesty they can now resume library use without worrying about a fee.

"This is a one-time offer that I would encourage people to take advantage of," he added.

A copy of Engineering Workshop Practice can be bought on a book sale website for 62p.

Subject: Re: Library book return 46 years late

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/15/09 at 2:34 am

I especially liked this part:

Mr Hall said: "I found the book when I was clearing my dad's loft after he died 20 years ago.

So, let me get this straight, he held onto the book another 26 years before returning it?  All because he didn't want to pay a fine?  At the library I worked at, we didn't send out collections agents/notices for fines, but we did send out collections (a few evil librarians  >:( ) to acquire really late books.  Just to get the books back (especially if we had other patrons that reserved the book).  We just didn't let you use your card if you had fines due (until they were paid off.)  You could even make payments on the fines.

Now he gets all kinds of publicity.  ::)

Written By: gibbo on 07/15/09 at 4:20 am

I especially liked this part:

So, let me get this straight, he held onto the book another 26 years before returning it?  All because he didn't want to pay a fine?  At the library I worked at, we didn't send out collections agents/notices for fines, but we did send out collections (a few evil librarians  >:( ) to acquire really late books.  Just to get the books back (especially if we had other patrons that reserved the book).  We just didn't let you use your card if you had fines due (until they were paid off.)  You could even make payments on the fines.

Now he gets all kinds of publicity.   ::)

Hey ....I've still got a school library book from Grade 7 (I was 12)....'The Wright Brothers at Kittyhawk'. ......and I'm never giving it back!  :P

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/15/09 at 4:32 am

Hey ....I've still got a school library book from Grade 7 (I was 12)....'The Wright Brithers at Kittyhawk'. ......and I'm never giving it back!  :P

Do I have to come clear to Australia to collect that overdue book from you, Mister?  *wagging my finger at you*  >:(

So did you learn anything from that book?  ???  ;D

Written By: gibbo on 07/15/09 at 4:34 am

Do I have to come clear to Australia to collect that overdue book from you, Mister?  *wagging my finger at you*   >:(

So did you learn anything from that book?   ???  ;D

Yes, I learned that there were daring, totally insane people living in 1903!  BTW... I expected you to chastise me...what took you so long? ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/15/09 at 4:39 am

Yes, I learned that there were daring, totally insane people living in 1903!   BTW... I expected you to chastise me...what took you so long? ;D

Ah Give a girl a break, it's 5:38 a.m. here and I'm very tired (and have not been to sleep yet.)  Staying awake all night is hard on us old women.  lol

Written By: gibbo on 07/15/09 at 4:40 am

Ah Give a girl a break, it's 5:38 a.m. here and I'm very tired (and have not been to sleep yet.)  Staying awake all night is hard on us old women.  lol

I don't sleep well these days either! Hope you get some quality sleep soon....

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/09 at 4:42 am

I don't sleep well these days either! Hope you get some quality sleep soon....
Do you keep reading the same sentence every time before nodding off?

Written By: gibbo on 07/15/09 at 4:45 am

Do you keep reading the same sentence every time before nodding off?

Sometimes it is like that..... :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/09 at 4:46 am

Sometimes it is like that..... :-\\
I wish I had a book like that.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/15/09 at 9:29 pm

I wish I had a book like that.

I happen to know of a library book that was JUST returned.  You may find it interesting (or not.)  ;D  I just don't recommend keeping it out for 46 years.

Check for new replies or respond here...