inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Chicago's Sears Tower is renamed

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/09 at 3:53 pm

From BBC News Online

The Sears Tower in Chicago - one of the most famous skyscrapers in the world - is being renamed.

The 110-storey structure, which opened in 1973, is being rechristened the Willis Tower on Thursday.

London-based insurance brokerage Willis Group Holdings has secured the naming rights as part of an agreement to lease space.

But the name change has angered some protesters, who have launched a website called www.itsthesearstower.com.

Tourists from around the world have visited the tower's gallery to see views of Chicago.

Chicago teacher Marianne Turk, 46, told the Associated Press news agency that she was firmly against the change, as she waited to go up.

"It's always going to be the Sears Tower. It's part of Chicago and I won't call it Willis Tower. In Chicago we hold fast," she said.

Subject: Re: Chicago's Sears Tower is renamed

Written By: Jessica on 07/16/09 at 8:19 pm

Yeah, I'm not down with Willis Tower.  It will always be the Sears Tower to me.

Written By: Midas on 07/17/09 at 11:15 am

Same here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/09 at 12:38 pm

The tallest skyscaper in the City of London is the Tower 42, I still call it by it's old name NatWest Tower.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/17/09 at 11:04 pm

Same with me.

Check for new replies or respond here...