inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Deadly tropical plant found in Suffolk England

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/09 at 12:13 pm

A Suffolk woman has had a mystery plant in her garden identified - as a deadly tropical bush normally found in the Amazon.

Phyllis Abbott, 79, spotted the first shoots of Devil's Snare in the spring and it is now 5ft tall, reports the Daily Telegraph.

It's used by South American Indians to poison their hunting spears and arrows, and in Hindu ceremonies for its hallucinogenic qualities.

Its poison causes dry mouth, blurred vision, heart irregularities, hallucinations, and eventually coma and death in severe cases.

Mrs Abbott and husband George, 84, of Newmarket, contacted the Royal Horticultural Society who identified the plant as highly venomous.

While its arrival is a mystery, the couple have been told the seed may have arrived via bird droppings and random sightings normally only occur in mainland Europe.

Mrs Abbott said: "We are not worried because we know about it now and can keep away from it.

"It will stay in my garden until the weekend in case anyone wants to come and see it, but then I am going to cut it down."

The Royal Horticultural Society told the Abbotts that the plant's poison could be dangerous to humans and pets and advised them to dig it up.

Spokesman James Armitage said: "These plants are not native to Britain and we think their seeds are spread by birds. They belong to the same family as Deadly Nightshade and are highly poisonous if eaten."

Subject: Re: Deadly tropical plant found in Suffolk England

Written By: karen on 08/07/09 at 8:39 pm

Devil's Snare, Devil's Snare.  It's deadly fun, but will sulk in the sun

They belong to the same family as Deadly Nightshade and are highly poisonous if eaten."

Aw, not the strangling plant then.

Written By: wildcard on 08/08/09 at 1:12 am

Don't eat my potato bushes or my mom's petunias.  I think tomatoes are Nightshades too and I know eggplants are. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/09/09 at 3:12 pm

Well, at least she didn't put it in the salad!
:D

Written By: Step-chan on 08/25/09 at 12:09 pm

I almost expected a mutant Venus Flytrap. :D

Written By: Red Ant on 08/25/09 at 1:17 pm

"...who identified the plant as highly venomous."

Botany fail.

;D

Ant

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 08/25/09 at 1:29 pm

Oh, no... It's The Day of the Triffids all over!!!  :o :D ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 08/25/09 at 5:11 pm

Isn't Suffolk part of East Anglia where we get a lot of those Inspector Morse, Lovejoy, and Inspector Lynley mysteries? This fits in nicely

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/09 at 2:13 am

Isn't Suffolk part of East Anglia where we get a lot of those Inspector Morse, Lovejoy, and Inspector Lynley mysteries? This fits in nicely
Inspector Morse was shot in Oxford miles away from Suffolk, but Lovejoy certainly is.

Written By: wildcard on 08/26/09 at 11:32 am

feeeeeed me

Check for new replies or respond here...