inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Vancouver man guilty of criminal negligence after botched circumcision on four-y

Written By: Frank on 12/11/09 at 3:29 pm

A Metro Vancouver man who tried to perform a circumcision on his four-year-old son has been found guilty of criminal negligence causing bodily harm.

The man, identified only as DJW in a B.C. Supreme Court ruling, admitted he had attempted to remove the foreskin on son DJ’s penis, but argued that his religious motivation negated any criminal intent. B.C. Supreme Court Justice Marion Allan found otherwise.

“I am satisfied that a reasonable person in the accused’s circumstances would have appreciated that it was dangerous to attempt a home circumcision on his four-year-old son,” said the judge.
“His conduct was a marked and substantial departure in all of the circumstances from the standard of care of a reasonable person. I am also satisfied that the accused showed both wanton and reckless disregard for DJ’s safety.”

The judge found him to be a generally-truthful witness but concluded that he did not have the knowledge, experience or skill to conduct a circumcision.
She noted that the accused himself had suffered complications from circumcising himself, requiring the assistance of 911 and sutures in a hospital.

The judge also noted that the boy did not consent to the procedure and the accused inappropriately gave his son a quantity of alcohol prior to attempting to circumcise him.

“In this case, DJ was clearly hurt when his father cut his foreskin — he cried at the time of the circumcision and later that night when the cut opened and bled . . . DJ was immobilized wholly or partially for a few days.” Surgery was conducted on the boy to repair the damage and to prevent likely disfigurement, said the judge. The accused was acquitted of charges of aggravated assault and assault.

Subject: Re: Vancouver man guilty of criminal negligence after botched circumcision on four-y

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/11/09 at 7:41 pm

UGH!  And I mean that in every way possible!  How could you do that to your own child?  How can you do it to yourself.  I have no tolerance for stupid people who do things in the name of religion.  Again, UGH!  8-P

Subject: Re: Vancouver man guilty of criminal negligence after botched circumcision on fo

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/11/09 at 8:27 pm

The accused was acquitted of charges of aggravated assault and assault.

So...

The parents paid a lawyer and he got to keep the tip?

- With apologies to Weird Al.

Subject: Re: Vancouver man guilty of criminal negligence after botched circumcision on fo

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/09 at 12:04 am

So...

The parents paid a lawyer and he got to keep the tip?

Nyuk nyuk nyuk!

Hey, at least the old man got the kid drunk first.
:-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...