inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parcel arrives - after 27 years

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/10 at 10:40 am

Royal Mail took nearly three decades to deliver a woman's exam certificates just six miles.

Gill Smeathers received the package postmarked 4 November 1982, 27 years three months and two days overdue, reports the Daily Telegraph.

It contained four secretarial certificates issued to her daughter Tracy, who now lives in Canada, from a course she took at Kettering Technical College.

The cylindrical tube, still complete with 12.5p stamp, had travelled from Kettering to her home in Wellingborough, Northants.

Mrs Smeathers, a retired office worker, said: "I knew instantly when I saw the name of the college what it was.

"Tracy and I had a good laugh about it when I told her, but I'm not sending it to her. I'm keeping hold of it this time.

"Tracy thought I had received the certificates and I thought she had them so we never even realised they were missing.

"I'd love to know where it's been all these years. I can only think it must have fallen behind a cupboard and got lost."

Royal Mail believes that parcel was franked by the original sender and never posted. It has a more recent Milton Keynes postmark dated 15 February 2010.

Check for new replies or respond here...