inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tiger cub found among stuffed toys in Bangkok luggage

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/10 at 1:03 am

A two-month-old tiger cub has been found sedated and hidden among stuffed toy tigers in a woman's luggage at Bangkok's airport, the wildlife trade monitoring network Traffic has said.

The Thai national was trying to board a flight to Iran but had difficulty with a large bag at check-in.

X-rays aroused suspicions among airport staff who believed they had seen an image resembling a real animal.

Wildlife officers were then called in and discovered the tranquilised cub.

The tiger was found last Sunday and is now being cared for at the rescue centre of the department of national parks, wildlife and plant conservation.

Authorities are trying to determine if the cat is wild or captive-bred.

Chris Shepherd, South-East Asia deputy regional director for Traffic, said: "We applaud all the agencies that came together to uncover this brazen smuggling attempt."

But he also called for regular monitoring and harsher penalties.

"If people are trying to smuggle live tigers in their check-in luggage, they obviously think wildlife smuggling is something easy to get away with and do not fear reprimand," he said.

"Only sustained pressure on wildlife traffickers and serious penalties can change that."

Subject: Re: Tiger cub found among stuffed toys in Bangkok luggage

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/27/10 at 6:11 pm

Reminds me of this, oddly enough.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NZNothTK11w/SdF7phekJVI/AAAAAAAAAWU/YhiLRQOtoww/s400/ET.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/28/10 at 2:23 pm

I think that lady should have to explain her actions to the tiger cub's mum!
:)

Written By: Frank on 08/29/10 at 11:01 pm

Reminds me of this, oddly enough.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NZNothTK11w/SdF7phekJVI/AAAAAAAAAWU/YhiLRQOtoww/s400/ET.jpg
Me too

Check for new replies or respond here...