inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: University puts up overprotective parents

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/10 at 8:27 am

http://web.orange.co.uk/images/ice/quirkies/parents_sleep_in_sports_hall_europics.jpg

A Chinese university is offering parents the chance to sleep in the sports hall in order to stop them sleeping in their children's dormitories.

China's one child policy has created a generation of overprotective parents and many want to move in with their children when they first move to university.

Parents often want to stay for days - or even weeks - to cook and clean for their children to make sure they settle in happily to student life.

But so many anxious parents are now up at the University in Wuhan in Hubei province, in central China, that the university has had to open up its sports hall to allow them to sleep on the floor.

A university spokesman said: "They often can't accept that their children have now left home and come to university - sometimes they move to the local area for months offering to cook and clean for their children - and keep an eye on them.

"We decided to act after finding some of the parents arranged to sleep in their children's dormitory with them which of course is unacceptable. We now give them a blanket and a place to wash and eat free of charge."

Subject: Re: University puts up overprotective parents

Written By: snozberries on 09/19/10 at 10:56 am

OMG THAT'S RIDICULOUS!!! But, I work at a university and have to deal with a ton of overprotective parents so I can totally see this happening...

Written By: snozberries on 09/19/10 at 3:30 pm

sigh.... philip's post jinxed me....

I just got off the phone with a parent.... okay actually- I got a call from a northern cali police dept. They told me they rec'd several calls from a mom who wanted to have someone check the welfare of her son.  they gave me her number so I called her.

Here's the story...

Dad drove son to UCSB yesterday. Mom is upset because she thought her husband was going to spend the  night with the kid. She was mad when he came home last night. Now, mom is worried that something is wrong with her son because she hasn't talked to him since yesterday. The kid doesn't have a cell phone and isn't expected to get one until Tuesday.  

Me- where is your son staying?  She gives me the name of the res hall.  but doesn't know the room number.  
I tell her I will call the front desk and have them go to his room and tell him to call home.  (they do but he's not in the room so they tell the roommate - and leave a note)

I call mom back. Your son is fine he just left the room but his roommate was told to have him call you when he returns.
MOM: He left the room? Where did he go?
ME: I don't know. He could have gone to the bathroom, or to get lunch or to explore campus.
b]MOM: Well when will he be back?
ME: I don't know- we don't require our students to check in and out. They are considered adults and free to come and go as they please.
b]MOM: But where did he go?
ME: I honestly don't know
MOM: Well what's his roommates name?
ME: I don't know but we did tell him to tell your son to call home and we left a note for your son to call home.
MOM: okay thank you. Can I have the number for the front desk.
ME: sure- 805-893-xxxx.....
MOM: Thank you... my husband is in trouble I wish he'd just shoot me this is so much trauma!
ME: Ma'am you know it's not really typical for the parents to spend the night in the room with their kids.
MOM: They don't?
ME: No, they always go back home once the kids are moved in.
MOM: Oh. Do they have House mothers in the rooms?
ME: Um, no they have resident assistants for each floor but not in every room.
MOM: Oh. okay did you give me the number for the front desk?
ME: yes i did.
MOM: What's the name of the person worknig the front desk?
ME: I don't know they have a lot of employees
MOM: okay. can I get the number?
ME: The number I just gave you?
MOM: Oh, did you give me the number?
ME: Yes I did.
MOM: Oh I'm sorry. This is all just so traumatic. Can I get it again?
ME: Sure, 805-893-xxxx
MOM: Thanks. And can I get the name of the person working the front desk?
ME: Um, they have a lot of employees so I don't have any names I can give you.
MOM: Oh, okay this is just a lot of trauma for me.
ME: I understand but your son will be told to call you when he returns.
MOM: Okay but if he doesn't call in what I think is a reasonable amount of time I'm going to call the front desk.
ME: Okay.
MOM: Can I have the number for the front desk and the name of the person who works it....

ME: to myself... I kinda wish your husband would shoot you too!  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/19/10 at 4:00 pm

^ Oh no no no..... I would bet that sometime in the near future that kid takes off without a forwarding address.

Written By: snozberries on 09/19/10 at 4:03 pm

^ Oh no no no..... I would bet that sometime in the near future that kid takes off without a forwarding address.

I know I would... I thought for sure she was going to tell me she was divorced...she isn't that husband is either a saint or also insane!  ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/19/10 at 4:04 pm

My God.  I am so effing irritated right now.  >:(

Written By: snozberries on 09/19/10 at 4:09 pm

My God.  I am so effing irritated right now.   >:(

she actually gave me a headache!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/19/10 at 4:11 pm

she actually gave me a headache!

You can't just hang up on people like that?  I mean...your calls are recorded.  I'm sure you supervisor would understand!

Written By: snozberries on 09/19/10 at 4:13 pm

You can't just hang up on people like that?  I mean...your calls are recorded.  I'm sure you supervisor would understand!

she would just keep calling back... she called that Nor Cal PD a few times...that's why they called me. Now I'm pretty sure she's calling the front desk every hour on the hour! lol

Written By: danootaandme on 09/19/10 at 4:17 pm

Is it possible to put that out on the media.  It is one of those stories people love. 

Written By: snozberries on 09/19/10 at 4:20 pm

Is it possible to put that out on the media.  It is one of those stories people love. 

I'm thinking about having my boss record it for me! I can use it for dispatch training. ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 09/19/10 at 4:34 pm

That would be a great one for that show The Smoking Gun. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 09/19/10 at 4:50 pm

That would be a great one for that show The Smoking Gun. ;D

;D

Written By: gibbo on 09/19/10 at 5:26 pm

She was so mixed up ...you could have directed her to a gun and she could have shot herself!

Written By: snozberries on 09/19/10 at 5:27 pm

She was so mixed up ...you could have directed her to a gun and she could have shot herself!

damn...we should hire you to answer phones  ;D

Written By: gibbo on 09/19/10 at 5:31 pm

damn...we should hire you to answer phones   ;D

You need to have a little card with those directions ....just in case you get the same situation again (like for bomb threats etc).

When the conversation goes south...... M'am...is there a gun in the house? ...

Written By: snozberries on 09/19/10 at 5:32 pm

You need to have a little card with those directions ....just in case you get the same situation again (like for bomb threats etc).

When the conversation goes south...... M'am...is there a gun in the house? ...

I'll make some up!  ;)

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/19/10 at 6:02 pm

This is hilarious (sorry, Q).  Most of the parents that I know actually joke that when their child is finally off at college, they're going to sell the house and go into hiding!  ;D

I'm very surprised he told his mother which college he was going to  :)

Written By: snozberries on 09/19/10 at 6:06 pm

This is hilarious (sorry, Q).  Most of the parents that I know actually joke that when their child is finally off at college, they're going to sell the house and go into hiding!  ;D

I'm very surprised he told his mother which college he was going to  :)

she probably filled out the application for him and typed up his personal statement for him too!  ::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/19/10 at 9:50 pm

Me- where is your son staying?  She gives me the name of the res hall.  but doesn't know the room number.  

If that were my mother, I wouldn't tell her my room number either.

~mumble curse mutter unique precious friggin' snowflakes~

Written By: Gis on 09/20/10 at 6:52 am

So funny! I bet that boy is going to let his hair down and then some now he's escaped from his mother!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 09/20/10 at 8:26 am

So funny! I bet that boy is going to let his hair down and then some now he's escaped from his mother!  ;D

Oh man. Can you imagine the call we'll get after he gets arrested for being drunk in public (and he will be- most of them are)  God I hope I'm off duty that day!!!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/20/10 at 1:52 pm

So Q, did you have the feeling that you were talking to a female Howard?  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 09/20/10 at 1:55 pm

So Q, did you have the feeling that you were talking to a female Howard?  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

now that you mention it.......  ;)  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/20/10 at 7:52 pm

http://web.orange.co.uk/images/ice/quirkies/parents_sleep_in_sports_hall_europics.jpg

A Chinese university is offering parents the chance to sleep in the sports hall in order to stop them sleeping in their children's dormitories.

China's one child policy has created a generation of overprotective parents and many want to move in with their children when they first move to university.

Parents often want to stay for days - or even weeks - to cook and clean for their children to make sure they settle in happily to student life.

But so many anxious parents are now up at the University in Wuhan in Hubei province, in central China, that the university has had to open up its sports hall to allow them to sleep on the floor.

A university spokesman said: "They often can't accept that their children have now left home and come to university - sometimes they move to the local area for months offering to cook and clean for their children - and keep an eye on them.

"We decided to act after finding some of the parents arranged to sleep in their children's dormitory with them which of course is unacceptable. We now give them a blanket and a place to wash and eat free of charge."

Actually this is great news.

Means that China's kids have become just as pussified as ours, so maybe they're not quite as big of a threat as I'd feared.  ::)

Written By: gibbo on 09/20/10 at 8:39 pm

Cat

What?  Are you saying Howards NOT a female?  :o

Written By: snozberries on 09/20/10 at 8:43 pm

Actually this is great news.

Means that China's kids have become just as pussified as ours, so maybe they're not quite as big of a threat as I'd feared.  ::)

;D  karma!

Written By: Frank on 09/20/10 at 11:56 pm

sigh.... philip's post jinxed me....

I just got off the phone with a parent.... okay actually- I got a call from a northern cali police dept. They told me they rec'd several calls from a mom who wanted to have someone check the welfare of her son.  they gave me her number so I called her.

Here's the story...

Dad drove son to UCSB yesterday. Mom is upset because she thought her husband was going to spend the  night with the kid. She was mad when he came home last night. Now, mom is worried that something is wrong with her son because she hasn't talked to him since yesterday. The kid doesn't have a cell phone and isn't expected to get one until Tuesday.  

I tell her I will call the front desk and have them go to his room and tell him to call home.  (they do but he's not in the room so they tell the roommate - and leave a note)

I call mom back. Your son is fine he just left the room but his roommate was told to have him call you when he returns.
MOM: He left the room? Where did he go?
ME: I don't know. He could have gone to the bathroom, or to get lunch or to explore campus.
b]MOM:
Well when will he be back?
ME: I don't know- we don't require our students to check in and out. They are considered adults and free to come and go as they please.
b]MOM: But where did he go?
ME: I honestly don't know
MOM: Well what's his roommates name?
ME: I don't know but we did tell him to tell your son to call home and we left a note for your son to call home.
MOM: okay thank you. Can I have the number for the front desk.
ME: sure- 805-893-xxxx.....
MOM: Thank you... my husband is in trouble I wish he'd just shoot me this is so much trauma!
ME: Ma'am you know it's not really typical for the parents to spend the night in the room with their kids.
MOM: They don't?
ME: No, they always go back home once the kids are moved in.
MOM: Oh. Do they have House mothers in the rooms?
ME: Um, no they have resident assistants for each floor but not in every room.
MOM: Oh. okay did you give me the number for the front desk?
ME: yes i did.
MOM: What's the name of the person worknig the front desk?
ME: I don't know they have a lot of employees
MOM: okay. can I get the number?
ME: The number I just gave you?
MOM: Oh, did you give me the number?
ME: Yes I did.
MOM: Oh I'm sorry. This is all just so traumatic. Can I get it again?
ME: Sure, 805-893-xxxx
MOM: Thanks. And can I get the name of the person working the front desk?
ME: Um, they have a lot of employees so I don't have any names I can give you.
MOM: Oh, okay this is just a lot of trauma for me.
ME: I understand but your son will be told to call you when he returns.
MOM: Okay but if he doesn't call in what I think is a reasonable amount of time I'm going to call the front desk.
ME: Okay.
MOM: Can I have the number for the front desk and the name of the person who works it....

ME: to myself... I kinda wish your husband would shoot you too!  ::)

Oh My...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/10 at 12:46 am

I was going to say it sounds just like my mom.  I don't mean the situation itself, I just mean the style of OCD neurotic questioning in which every answer breeds four new questions!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/10 at 12:50 am

"I wish Max wasn't here, then we could pound a merry tune!"

-- My roommate Wally the Douchebag.  He and his little tootsie-pie though I was asleep not lying awake listening.

Check for new replies or respond here...