inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Court flies student 10,000 miles to give evidence

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/10 at 6:37 am

A German court paid nearly £7,000 to fly a student first class from Sydney to Berlin to testify for 30 seconds in a case about a stolen mobile phone.

German student Patrick Becker, 20, flew 10,000 miles because a judge said his presence at the hearing of a woman who allegedly stole his mobile was "vital".

Mr Becker, from Meppen, near Hanover, was in Berlin in the spring of 2009 when his iPhone was stolen, reports the Daily Telegraph.

He reported the theft, went home and heard nothing more.

He flew to Sydney earlier this year for a three-month English language course when he was contacted by Berlin's District Court saying he must attend the hearing of the suspect.

"I told the woman on the phone that I could only get first class tickets because of the short notice and she said, OK, go ahead," he said.

"I only spoke for about 30 seconds in court... Then I got reimbursed and I returned to Australia," he told German newspaper Bild.

The thief who took his phone is 19 and has no money so the German taxpayer will now have to foot the bill for the journey. He was sentenced to a weekend's detention.

Subject: Re: Court flies student 10,000 miles to give evidence

Written By: danootaandme on 10/09/10 at 3:51 pm

Never heard of Skype?  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...