inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Man hit by SUV playing real life Frogger

Written By: snozberries on 12/29/10 at 2:33 pm

Seriously?  ::)  How stupid are people?

CLEMSON, S.C. A man has been hospitalized after police in South Carolina say he was hit by an SUV while playing a real-life version of the video game "Frogger."

Authorities said the 23-year-old man was taken to a hospital in Anderson after he was struck at around 9 p.m. Monday.

Read more: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2010/12/29/1307215/cops-man-playing-real-life-frogger.html#ixzz19XE0bjfc

Subject: Re: Man hit by SUV playing real life Frogger

Written By: wildcard on 12/29/10 at 4:16 pm

making suiside more interesting?

Written By: snozberries on 12/29/10 at 4:24 pm

making suiside more interesting?

could be...

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/29/10 at 10:56 pm

How stupid are people?

People are not only dumber than you imagine, they're dumber than you can imagine.

But this isn't a thread about dumb.  This is a thread about old.  Sure, by the time you, the random googler of "Frogger" and "pop culture", are reading this some time in the 2010s, your kids are gonna be so old, they'll remember when Frogger 2 was in 3D.  Or was a subject of some Seinfeld episode.  

But me, I'm so old I remember when Frogger was just the 2D sprites in this video, and that I remember Froggy's Lament, as performed by Buckner and Garcia, in 1982.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdTCvK6TfZc

"Froggy takes one step at a time,
The way that he moves has no reason or rhyme,
He tried to play the game for free,
But he couldn't dodge that SUV!"

But at least I'm young enough that I had to ask my parents what Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy meant.  I thought it was something dirty until they told me that it was just a harmless reference to a 1950s TV show.

Back on topic, all I wanna know is... when he got hit, did he look like this?

http://www.splotchy.com/images/blog/frogger_death.jpg

And did he make the right 8-bit *Ddvvvvv..." sound?

Written By: wildcard on 12/30/10 at 2:22 pm

could be...

only thing I can think of, the guy wanted to die and tried to make it a little more interesting to motivate himself.  I think a mental illness would better describe this then stupid.

Written By: snozberries on 12/30/10 at 2:24 pm

only thing I can think of, the guy wanted to die and tried to make it a little more interesting to motivate himself.  I think a mental illness would better describe this then stupid.

I don't know people do really stupid stuff.

Written By: wildcard on 12/30/10 at 2:43 pm

Yeah I know, I see people run across the street and all kinds of foolish stuff, but this guy was at a 4 lane highway.  Was he crossing the street to get somewhere? I don't think so.  I'm  just guessing that this has to do with a mental disorder. 

Written By: snozberries on 12/30/10 at 3:12 pm

Yeah I think he was just being stupid. In the movie The Program characters layed down in the middle of the road as cars drove past them. Some idiots decided to try it in real life.

Other stupid things people do are riding on top of trains and elevators.
People just do stupid stuff because they see the excitement not the potential consequences.

Written By: wildcard on 12/30/10 at 5:49 pm

right I got you it's just that I can see someone trying to ride on top of a train because it might be fun.  I call that stupid.and actually calling that stupid,  but to pretend your playing a video game and running out into a highway for no reason requires some sort of mental illness, either the cars not being real cars, or him being invencible, or maybe just whatever got him to think he needed to  kill himself and he was in control of himself when he did it.  Who cares though how why he did it

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/31/10 at 8:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9dMRJZn01A

I'd forgotten about the Robot Chicken skit.  Lulz!

Check for new replies or respond here...