inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hotel made of rubbish opens in Madrid

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/11 at 1:28 am

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/50875000/jpg/_50875093_011054793-1.jpg

A hotel made entirely of rubbish has opened in the Spanish capital, Madrid.

The walls of the Beach Garbage Hotel are covered with detritus deposited by the tide in Europe, waste found at dumps and items bought at flea markets.

German artist Ha Schult built the five-bedroom hotel in the central Plaza de Callao as part of the city's hosting of the International Tourism Fair (Fitur).

Schult said he hoped to draw attention to the massive amount of waste generated by mass tourism in Europe.

"I created the Beach Garbage Hotel because the oceans of our planet are the biggest garbage dump," he told the AFP news agency.

About 30% to 40% of the objects found in the temporary guesthouse were found on beaches in the UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain.

Rose Piqueras, a spokeswoman for the project, said the aim was to show something contrasting with the pictures painted by the tourism industry.

"We wanted to show what our holidays could become if we don't clean our beaches," she said, adding that the beaches of southern Italy were worst

Subject: Re: Hotel made of rubbish opens in Madrid

Written By: wildcard on 01/20/11 at 5:07 pm

I think it's great.  Not that I want to live in a house of garbage, but to point out that something needs to be done about all this littered litter.  Someone homeless might actually appreciate having somewhere to live even if it's made out of garbage.

Check for new replies or respond here...