inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Deaf man complains nudists would not provide interpreter.

Written By: King Tut on 08/10/11 at 2:20 pm

HUDSON, New York (Reuters) - A deaf man has accused a nudist park in upstate New York of violating federal law by refusing to provide him with a sign-language interpreter at an annual festival.

Tom Willard, 53, of Rochester, filed a complaint with the U.S. Justice Department claiming Empire Haven Nudist Park violated the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) by refusing his requests for an interpreter.

"I am fed up with being turned away every time I try to do something, by idiots who somehow feel the ADA does not apply to them," Willard wrote in the complaint.

The ADA law requires businesses and nonprofit groups to provide auxiliary aids and services, including interpreters, at no additional cost to users. First-time violations can lead to fines of up to $55,000.

Willard told Reuters that in 2009 he approached a board member of the Naturist Society, which organized the festival, who told him he could hire his own interpreter. But he said the board member denied his request that he and the interpreter attend the event for free.

The six-day event costs $45 overall, plus an additional $17 for each day a person attends.    Willard filed his federal complaint on July 19.    On August 2, the festival's opening day, the Naturist Society offered to get an interpreter but said it would need three days notice to do so, Willard said.

Willard said he wanted to raise awareness of groups that ignore the ADA. He said he was also filing a complaint against a local comedy club that refused to provide an interpreter.  "I hate that I have to go through these experiences and subject myself to ridicule and derision, but the alternative is to stay home and never try to do anything in the world," Willard said.

Michael Schwartz, director of Syracuse University College of Law's disability rights clinic, said businesses often ignore their responsibilities under the ADA because it can be cheaper not to comply.

"Because of the cost (of interpreters), many places choose to say 'no,'" he said. "They are making a calculated choice that they'll get away with it."

A spokeswoman for Empire Haven, which is in the Finger Lakes region of New York state, was not available for comment, and Morley Schloss, the Naturist Society board member contacted by Willard, did not respond to several requests for comment.

Subject: Re: Deaf man complains nudists would not provide interpreter.

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/10/11 at 9:45 pm

Why would he expect to attend the event for free? 

Written By: wildcard on 08/11/11 at 1:02 am

they provide the interpreter buddy, you don't get in free.  That could be why they told you to hire your own dam interpreter.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/13/11 at 12:41 am

Sounds like a case of naked injustice to me!
:-\\

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/13/11 at 6:10 am

I wonder if the interpreter would charge more to interpret naked?  ;D

I have similar (yet completely different) problems at our local movie theaters.  Even with my sound amplifier, I cannot understand alot of movie diaglogue.  That is why I like to wait until it comes out on video or Showtime (so I can pick up what I don't hear reading through closed captioning.)  Some theaters hav special headphones that make hearing a bit better.  Funniest time that I used one of those?  I asked for them, got settled into my seat, headphones ready... then realized that the majority of the movie was in French (which I could hear, but cannot understand)  lol  None of the theaters I go to have naked people in them (maybe a few on the screen, but not for the whole movie anyway.)  ;D

Written By: wildcard on 08/13/11 at 2:08 pm

I don't go to movies because for one it's so hard for me to understand speech sometimes even with my Cochlear implant and I cant read the CC and watch the movie, if I read it fast enough.  There's no reason for me to go to a theater. 

I remember getting a letter that I might get called for jury duty and I told them that my hearing fluctuates and they'd have to get an interpreter.  They didn't call me

I'm all for raising awareness of the handicap ( able disabled when I went to junior college though I never had a problem with handicap) 

Check for new replies or respond here...