inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Offenders in Alabama chose jail or church

Written By: King Tut on 09/24/11 at 9:36 pm

BAY MINETTE, Ala. – Authorities say non-violent offenders in southern Alabama will have a new choice: Go to jail, or go to church every Sunday for a year.

WKRG-TV reports that Operation Restore Our Community begins next week.  The city judge in Bay Minette will let misdemeanor offenders choose to work off their sentences in jail and pay a fine; or go to church every Sunday for a year.

If offenders select church, they'll be allowed to pick the place of worship but must check in weekly with the pastor and police.

If the one-year church attendance program is completed, the offender's case will be dismissed.

Bay Minette Police Chief Mike Rowland says the program could change the lives of people heading down the wrong path. So far, 56 churches are participating.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Interesting way to proselytize.  If they don't like church after 6 months do they have to go to back to jail? Can they chose to visit a mosque instead?

Subject: Re: Offenders in Alabama chose jail or church

Written By: danootaandme on 09/25/11 at 5:04 am

Synagogue on Friday night.  How about public service.  What if the go to a mega church, which isn't really church at all now is it?

Written By: King Tut on 09/25/11 at 2:31 pm

Synagogue on Friday night.  How about public service.  What if the go to a mega church, which isn't really church at all now is it?

I'm interested to see how this develops.  I'm hoping not to read "54 of out the 56 churches who participated in the study have reported funds stolen from church" or "Stoned Youth group from church in  Birmingham loot stores after streaking through college football game at halftime"

I'd also like to see the % that chose "jail + fine" over church.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/11 at 11:01 pm

Atheists have to go to the can and it ain't fair!
>:(

"I think I'd better call the police!
Shouldn't you call the church?
Call the Church Police!"

--- Monty Python

Wait a minute...what if your crime was:

Exposing yourself in church?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/confused2.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...