inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dutch trains to get 'bag toilets'

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/08/11 at 1:44 pm

Dutch National Railways is introducing emergency plastic bags for passengers to urinate in as part of its first-aid provision on some commuter trains.

Spokesman Jeroen von Geusau told the BBC "wee bags" would be installed on commuter trains without toilets.

He said the bags were for use in emergencies such as power failures.

"When you have to wait three or four hours on a train, then it is quite logical you have some people aboard who need to go to a restroom," he said.

"It is like when a plane is circling above London for two hours."

About 16% of passenger trains do not have toilets, the spokesman said, pointing out that the Sprinter services involved stop at stations every 5-10 minutes.

'Are you serious?'

The portable urinal, made by the firm Travel John, is designed for the use of "anyone without access to traditional or sanitary facilities", according to the company's website.

The bag is attached to a spout and filled with a powdered substance that turns into a gel, AFP news agency reports.

Rail passengers interviewed by Dutch TV were dismayed by the idea.

"Are you serious?" said one unnamed female passenger.

"No, no way, I just can't see myself 'going' in that. For a man it may be easier, for a woman that's just impossible."

The Dutch scheme was not prompted by any one incident, Mr Von Geusau said, but after two hard winters in the Netherlands, "you need to be prepared".

Subject: Re: Dutch trains to get 'bag toilets'

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/11 at 10:44 pm

Let's go Dutch treat!
:)

Written By: Henk on 10/09/11 at 1:16 am

Let's just say I'm glad I'm not depending on NS (Dutch national railway services) for commuting, or any other need for transport.

It is one of the most bizarre ideas that ever sprouted from anyone's mind, if you ask me. It's insanity, and insanatory.
And all this because of a decision to remove all toilets from some commuter trains (to create more sitting space)...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/11 at 12:19 pm

Let's just say I'm glad I'm not depending on NS (Dutch national railway services) for commuting, or any other need for transport.

It is one of the most bizarre ideas that ever sprouted from anyone's mind, if you ask me. It's insanity, and insanatory.
And all this because of a decision to remove all toilets from some commuter trains (to create more sitting space)...

Sitting space or sh*tting space?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Maybe they could require a special porter of sorts?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/11 at 12:25 pm

do you have to make sure that you are not in the quiet compartment of the train?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/10/11 at 12:39 am

What about the dining car?
8-P

Written By: Henk on 10/10/11 at 5:21 am

do you have to make sure that you are not in the quiet compartment of the train?

What about the dining car?
8-P

The commuter trains in question have neither. ;)

Written By: Henk on 10/10/11 at 5:38 am

BTW...

In a first reaction, NS have stated they are 'embarrassed' by the (international) reactions to their initiave.

Well, duh! ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...