inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Killer Sharks Invade Golf Course In Oz

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/11 at 3:24 am

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2011/Oct/Week2/16085409.jpg

Members of a golf club in Australia have something more to worry about than just their swing - playing on what's thought to be the world's first shark-infested course.

Water hazards are a challenge for anyone who plays golf, but on the 14th tee at the Carbrook Golf Club in Brisbane there is another reason to be concerned.

Half a dozen man-eating bullsharks live in the lake in the centre of the course where their fins poking through the water have become a regular sight.

The sharks got onto the Queensland golf course when it flooded some years ago after a river broke its banks.

They became stranded when the water receded, but now they are thriving and even breeding.

"You can't believe how close you areā€¦just six feet away," club general manager Scott Wagstaff said.

"There's no drama, it's become a positive thing for the golf course. They are amazing. I've become a shark lover since working here."

Although the lake is well stocked with fish, Mr Wagstaff sometimes throws in meat to encourage the sharks to come near the surface.

"I'm sure they are aggressive when you are in the water but when you are out here feeding them they are beautiful to watch," he told Sky News.

The sharks have become renowned in the region and there is even a monthly tournament called the "Shark Lake Challenge".

Golfers often pause during games for a few minutes to see if they can spot the sharks before they head off to the next tee.

The sharks, which are between 8 and 10ft long, have proved quite a hit at corporate events and their fins have even been spotted during wedding ceremonies held on the course.

Local children once jumped in the lake to retrieve lost golf balls for extra pocket money - but it is something they have not done for a while.

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2011/Oct/Week2/16085405.jpg
A golfer looks on as one of the man-eating bullsharks passes by

Subject: Re: Killer Sharks Invade Golf Course In Oz

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/11 at 12:23 pm

The sharks can't leap out of the water and charge after you like the crocs!
:o

Written By: gibbo on 10/09/11 at 11:29 pm

I was telling Philip that I used to play that course (it's near my place) ... and I never, ever fetched my golf balls out of those water hazards!    And as for crocs... I have no idea how they can promote living in Far North Queensland with those monsters about. They are a protected species and the numbers are out of control. There are pictures in the Cairns paper of crocs 'surfing' in on waves at there main beaches. Up there they have designated (closed off areas) in which they swim. But it's not to avoid the deadly crocs...it's to minimize the keller effectds of the box jellyfish or Irukandji jelly fish.  They have bottles of vinegar on every beach...

But don'r run too far away or the bloody deadliest snakes in the world will kill you.  On top of that the humidity is sometimes unbearable. It's even uncomfortable in the water....like swimming in warm soup. Lovely place that... ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/10/11 at 12:36 am

I was telling Philip that I used to play that course (it's near my place) ... and I never, ever fetched my golf balls out of those water hazards!    And as for crocs... I have no idea how they can promote living in Far North Queensland with those monsters about. They are a protected species and the numbers are out of control. There are pictures in the Cairns paper of crocs 'surfing' in on waves at there main beaches. Up there they have designated (closed off areas) in which they swim. But it's not to avoid the deadly crocs...it's to minimize the keller effectds of the box jellyfish or Irukandji jelly fish.  They have bottles of vinegar on every beach...

But don'r run too far away or the bloody deadliest snakes in the world will kill you.  On top of that the humidity is sometimes unbearable. It's even uncomfortable in the water....like swimming in warm soup. Lovely place that... ::)

It's the tropics, ain't it, mate? 

I hung out with a couple of blokes from Darwin once (ironic name for that town).  They seemed like they wrestled salties for sport.  I mean, they shouted a lot, couldn't understand what they were saying most of the time.  They drank a lot of beeeeer all day, maybe to keep the bloody testosterone in check.  I felt kinda nervous the whole time.  I wouldn't want to get on their bad side.

I asked one of them about the crocodile problem, and he bellowed, "Well, dawnt be faaaakin' stuuuupid, mate!  If the soin says notta go swimmin' then ye'dawnt go faaaaakin' swimmin' 'less you wanna get ate!"
:o :o :o

Written By: gibbo on 10/12/11 at 9:48 pm

It's the tropics, ain't it, mate? 

I hung out with a couple of blokes from Darwin once (ironic name for that town).  They seemed like they wrestled salties for sport.  I mean, they shouted a lot, couldn't understand what they were saying most of the time.  They drank a lot of beeeeer all day, maybe to keep the bloody testosterone in check.  I felt kinda nervous the whole time.  I wouldn't want to get on their bad side.

I asked one of them about the crocodile problem, and he bellowed, "Well, dawnt be faaaakin' stuuuupid, mate!  If the soin says notta go swimmin' then ye'dawnt go faaaaakin' swimmin' 'less you wanna get ate!"
:o :o :o

Haha ... love the access mate!  ;D  .... and as for beeeeer .... The Darwin 'stubby' was about 3 times the size of others in Australia. (stubby is slang for small bottled beer)

Check for new replies or respond here...