inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: South West Ambulance condemns 'no loo paper' 999 call

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/24/11 at 1:39 pm

Ambulance bosses are condemning a man who rang 999 to say he had run out of toilet paper.

The call was released by South West Ambulance in an attempt to make people realise pranks and hoaxes can stop genuine calls from getting through.

A spokesman said it treated all 999 calls as potentially life-threatening.

"Our call takers go through the process with callers and that will take time and they could be missing a call that's a genuine emergency," he added.

South Western Ambulance Service provides emergency and urgent care and non-urgent patient transport services for Cornwall, the Isles of Scilly, Devon, Dorset and part of Somerset.

Subject: Re: South West Ambulance condemns 'no loo paper' 999 call

Written By: snozberries on 12/24/11 at 1:56 pm

Haven't had that one yet but I'm sure I will someday....  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/30/11 at 8:06 pm

There is a feeling of panic that sets in...
:-\\

Written By: snozberries on 12/30/11 at 8:10 pm

There is a feeling of panic that sets in...
:-\\

I'm thinkng... you've got the phone... there must have been at least 40 other people that could've been called first....

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/12 at 4:25 am

In the UK there has been another call to the emergency services of the last Christmas.

A man dialled 999 to ask police how long it would take to defrost his Christmas turkey.

The hopeless cook considered his Christmas dinner disaster a genuine emergency when he contacted Greater Manchester Police (GMP).

The force have released a recording of the call in a bid to deter others from wasting their time with calls which are not genuine emergencies.

It comes in the run-up to New Year's Eve, the busiest night of the year for officers.

In the call the man asks: "How long do you defrost a turkey for?"

The disgruntled call handler then tells the man that they will arrange to have his phone blocked before asking if he has a "genuine emergency".

The man replies: "It is an emergency. Do I take the giblets out before I defrost it?"

On average, GMP handles 1,400 emergency calls each day, but last New Year's Eve there were 3,228 - more than twice as many.

Diane Grandidge, GMP's business lead for call handling, said: "The 999 number is only to be used in emergencies where there is a threat to life or property or a crime in progress.

“I would therefore urge people to think carefully before dialling, as that way we can focus our efforts on real emergencies.

"With our busiest night approaching we are preparing to receive thousands of emergency calls, and silly pranks or thoughtless requests for assistance can have a major impact on those who need a fast police response.

“We don't want there to be any delays in dealing with genuine emergencies because of non-emergency calls to 999 or, worse still, deliberate jokes."

Recent examples of 999 being misused in Manchester include people asking for directions or a lift home, asking where the nearest restaurant is or wishing police a Happy New Year.

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/12 at 10:20 am

In the UK there has been another call to the emergency services of the last Christmas.

A man dialled 999 to ask police how long it would take to defrost his Christmas turkey.

The hopeless cook considered his Christmas dinner disaster a genuine emergency when he contacted Greater Manchester Police (GMP).

The force have released a recording of the call in a bid to deter others from wasting their time with calls which are not genuine emergencies.

It comes in the run-up to New Year's Eve, the busiest night of the year for officers.

In the call the man asks: "How long do you defrost a turkey for?"

The disgruntled call handler then tells the man that they will arrange to have his phone blocked before asking if he has a "genuine emergency".

The man replies: "It is an emergency. Do I take the giblets out before I defrost it?"

On average, GMP handles 1,400 emergency calls each day, but last New Year's Eve there were 3,228 - more than twice as many.

Diane Grandidge, GMP's business lead for call handling, said: "The 999 number is only to be used in emergencies where there is a threat to life or property or a crime in progress.

“I would therefore urge people to think carefully before dialling, as that way we can focus our efforts on real emergencies.

"With our busiest night approaching we are preparing to receive thousands of emergency calls, and silly pranks or thoughtless requests for assistance can have a major impact on those who need a fast police response.

“We don't want there to be any delays in dealing with genuine emergencies because of non-emergency calls to 999 or, worse still, deliberate jokes."

Recent examples of 999 being misused in Manchester include people asking for directions or a lift home, asking where the nearest restaurant is or wishing police a Happy New Year.

used to happen in the US all of the time... then someone got smart and created a turkey hotline

1-800-BUTTERBALL or via email at talkline@butterball.com

BTW....has the man not heard of google? I mean is there anything, really, that you can't find out via the internet.  ::)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/03/12 at 12:08 pm

used to happen in the US all of the time... then someone got smart and created a turkey hotline

1-800-BUTTERBALL or via email at talkline@butterball.com

BTW....has the man not heard of google? I mean is there anything, really, that you can't find out via the internet.  ::)

If you are stupid enough to call emergency services about your turkey, I sincerely doubt you're familair with Google!  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/12 at 5:15 pm

If you are stupid enough to call emergency services about your turkey, I sincerely doubt you're familair with Google!  ;)

I'd find that hard to believe but then I think about all the posts I see here about what is this and can anyone tell me that I find the answer in 30 seconds by typing the exact phrase into google and I know you are right!  ::)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/04/12 at 1:00 pm

I'd find that hard to believe but then I think about all the posts I see here about what is this and can anyone tell me that I find the answer in 30 seconds by typing the exact phrase into google and I know you are right!  ::)

I know, right?

Check for new replies or respond here...