inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Whale vomit chunk worth as much as $60,000.

Written By: warped on 08/30/12 at 4:27 pm

CHRISTCHURCH, England, Aug. 30 (UPI) -- The family of a British 8-year-old who found a chunk of whale vomit on the beach said the find could be worth more than $60,000.

Charlie Naysmith, of Christchurch, England, said he discovered the chunk of ambergris at Hengistbury Head and took it home. His family researched the object and found out it is worth between $16,000 and $63,000, the Daily Echo of Southampton, England, reported Thursday.
The boy's father, Alex Naysmith, said experts were working to determine the exact worth of the item.

"He is into nature and is really interested in it. We have discovered it is quite rare and are waiting for some more information from marine biology experts," he said.

Experts said ambergris, which is created in the intestines of a sperm whale and comes out in vomit, is prized for its ability to prolong the scent of perfume.

One more reason to go to the beach on labor day weekend, to catch whale vomit. Why do I think of marine biologist George Costanza at this time? I don't know.

Subject: Re: Whale vomit chunk worth as much as $60,000.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/31/12 at 11:14 pm

One more reason to go to the beach on labor day weekend, to catch whale vomit. Why do I think of marine biologist George Costanza at this time? I don't know.

Only the largest chunks of Ambergris come out of the whale via vomiting; in true Costanza fashion, most comes out the opposite way.

Subject: Re: Whale vomit chunk worth as much as $60,000.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/01/12 at 1:32 am

Is it the one with Jonah's shoes stuck in it?
8)

Check for new replies or respond here...