inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thieves steal maple syrup stash from Canada warehouse

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/12 at 9:39 am

Thieves in Canada have stolen millions of dollars worth of highly prized maple syrup from a storage facility, Quebec police have said.

The Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers noticed that barrels supposed to contain the sugary liquid were empty after an inventory check.

The theft took place at their warehouse in St-Louis-de-Blandford, 160km (100 miles) north-east of Montreal.

Police say it is unclear exactly how much of the expensive syrup was stolen.

Some 3.4 million litres of bulk maple syrup was stored in the warehouse, with a value of up to CAN$30m (£19m).

If the entire warehouse's contents were stolen, it would represent more than a tenth of Quebec's 2012 harvest, according to CBC news.

"The St-Louis-de-Blandford warehouse had been secured by a fence and locks, and visited regularly," federation president Serge Beaulieu said in a statement.

The federation also keeps nearly 13m litres in syrup in three warehouses to stabilise global supply and prices.

"I can assure you there will be no shortage in maple syrup," Anne-Marie Granger Godbout from the Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers told the Reuters news agency.

The syrup was due to be transferred to a new storage facility in the coming weeks.

Maple sap is tapped directly from the sugar maple tree and boiled to concentrate it into maple syrup. Quebec produces three quarters of the world's maple syrup.

Subject: Re: Thieves steal maple syrup stash from Canada warehouse

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/04/12 at 10:43 pm

I told them prohibition would only lead to smuggling.  The revenuers cut down my maple trees last fall!
8)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/05/12 at 3:08 am

I am waiting for my connection, see if I can score.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/12 at 7:01 am

maybe they needed it for their waffles.

Written By: warped on 09/05/12 at 11:19 am

I told them prohibition would only lead to smuggling.  The revenuers cut down my maple trees last fall!
8)

Good to know you are making bootleg maple syrup in your bathtub now.  ;) 

Maple Syrup: The cause of, and solution to...all of life's problems.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/12 at 7:46 pm

Good to know you are making bootleg maple syrup in your bathtub now.  ;) 

Maple Syrup: The cause of, and solution to...all of life's problems.

and french toast.

Written By: warped on 10/05/12 at 6:59 am

Found the Syrup!!!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/canadian-police-seize-600-barrels-missing-maple-syrup-202521784.html

The artiucle is poorly written, but syrup was found, all is well.  Now that this is over maybe the Canadian Mounties can now search for all those weapons of mass destruction Sadaam Hussein had.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/26/12 at 2:23 am

I think this has to be the most Canadian crime ever.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/08/13 at 9:43 am

It seems that a Vermont company has been involved-unknowingly, I presume.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Vermont+firm+implicated+million+maple+syrup+heist+from+Quebec+warehouse/7932184/story.html#ixzz2KIuaVpPQ

The plot thickens (like syrup  :D ;D ;D ;D ).

Cat

Written By: warped on 02/08/13 at 9:45 am

It seems that a Vermont company has been involved-unknowingly, I presume.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Vermont+firm+implicated+million+maple+syrup+heist+from+Quebec+warehouse/7932184/story.html#ixzz2KIuaVpPQ

The plot thickens (like syrup  :D ;D ;D ;D ).

Cat

So...(taps fingers)  "someone" is Vermont is involved. "Someone" we know who lives in Vermont just unexpectadly took off thousands of miles away for Puerto Rico recently...OK...I'm getting who the crook is..  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just teasing ya, Cat!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/08/13 at 10:00 am

So...(taps fingers)  "someone" is Vermont is involved. "Someone" we know who lives in Vermont just unexpectadly took off thousands of miles away for Puerto Rico recently...OK...I'm getting who the crook is..  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just teasing ya, Cat!

Way to go, Warped. Blow my cover, why dontcha? I thought you were my friend.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  I hate when that happens.

Cat

Written By: warped on 02/08/13 at 10:03 am

Way to go, Warped. Blow my cover, why dontcha? I thought you were my friend.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  I hate when that happens.

Cat

;D

Written By: meesa on 02/08/13 at 10:05 am

Cat

In an unrelated bit of news..today in Puerto Rico, there was a record set for most maple syrup sales ever. The vendor of the syrup was unavailable for comment...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/08/13 at 10:13 am

In an unrelated bit of news..today in Puerto Rico, there was a record set for most maple syrup sales ever. The vendor of the syrup was unavailable for comment...

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: warped on 02/08/13 at 10:17 am

The Montreal Gazette will have a story on that tomorrow. 

"House in Puerto Rico suddenly abandoned due to termite infestation. A middle-aged exterminator from Puerto Rico charged with maple syrup heist in Canada. Exterminator was heard to say 'WTF is Canada?..some frozen winterwonderland filled with igloos? How can they even grow maple syrup there...I've been framed! There was a couple living here...they were from Vermont!!! They told me to hold onto these huge barrels. I was told it was water..They said they were going to Argentina for a few days' 
After careful research, no proof was found that this couple ever existed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/08/13 at 11:17 am

The Montreal Gazette will have a story on that tomorrow. 

"House in Puerto Rico suddenly abandoned due to termite infestation. A middle-aged exterminator from Puerto Rico charged with maple syrup heist in Canada. Exterminator was heard to say 'WTF is Canada?..some frozen winterwonderland filled with igloos? How can they even grow maple syrup there...I've been framed! There was a couple living here...they were from Vermont!!! They told me to hold onto these huge barrels. I was told it was water..They said they were going to Argentina for a few days' 
After careful research, no proof was found that this couple ever existed.

That sounds a lot like the book Carlos & I are reading called "Lunatics" by Dave Barry & Alan Zweibel. If you want a good laugh, I recommend reading it.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 02/08/13 at 4:59 pm

maybe they needed it for their waffles.

That's a shed-load of waffles they were making, Howard.  ;D

I read this today in the newspaper. Barrel loads of maple syrup seems to be a strange thing to nick off with...maybe that's the genius behind it. Who would have thunk anybody would try it?

Written By: danootaandme on 02/08/13 at 5:38 pm

That's a shed-load of waffles they were making, Howard.  ;D

I read this today in the newspaper. Barrel loads of maple syrup seems to be a strange thing to nick off with...maybe that's the genius behind it. Who would have thunk anybody would try it?

Considering the cost of maple syrup($20 a pint) it could well have been a smart move, if they had gotten away with it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/08/13 at 6:42 pm

Considering the cost of maple syrup($20 a pint) it could well have been a smart move, if they had gotten away with it.

$20 a pint? We usually pay $30-$35 for a gallon.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 02/08/13 at 7:31 pm

If it's maple syrup produced by Findus it'll probably be 99% horsemeat...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/findus-leak-reveals-horse-in-beef-for-six-months-8486602.html

I totally agree with you, Danoota. They would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddlesome authorities...

Written By: Howard on 02/08/13 at 7:51 pm

what about the pancakes and waffles?  :D

Written By: Howard on 02/08/13 at 7:53 pm

That's a shed-load of waffles they were making, Howard

You can't have waffles without delicious syrup.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/09/13 at 4:29 am

$20 a pint? We usually pay $30-$35 for a gallon.

Cat

You buy it by the gallon?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/09/13 at 8:22 am

You buy it by the gallon?

Yup-that is our year-supply. We don't use it just on pancakes. We cook with it all the time. Yummy on ham and/or pork.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...