inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A man buys oyster for breakfast, finds pearl

Written By: Zac95 on 02/26/13 at 4:07 pm

NEWQUAY, England, Feb. 26 (UPI) -- A British man who bought a pair of fresh oysters to treat his hangover said he discovered a pearl inside one of the mollusks.

James Humphries, 34, of Newquay, England, said he bought the oysters -- which he described as "the perfect hangover cure" -- from E Rawle & Co. fishmongers Saturday morning after a night of drinking, and discovered a pearl while eating his breakfast, The Mirror reported Tuesday.

"I thought a filling had fallen out. It was only when I spat it out that I discovered it was a pearl," he said. "It's small, but perfectly formed and I absolutely love it."

Paul Cox of the National Marine Aquarium in Plymouth said Humphries' discovery was a rare find.

"It's extremely rare for pearls to occur naturally in the wild," he said. "Most of the pearls you see are cultivated or come from pearl oysters. I've never come across anyone who has found a wild pearl before. It's extremely unusual and he's a very lucky man."

Heather Bell of Little Gem jewelers in Newquay said it is difficult to put a price on the pearl.

"It's difficult to put an exact price on this, but given the rarity, it's a priceless find for James," she said.

Humphries said he plans to keep the pearl.

"I'm thinking of getting the pearl made into a piece of jewelry -- possibly a little silver fish with the pearl for its eye," he said.

Subject: Re: A man buys oyster for breakfast, finds pearl

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/27/13 at 11:43 pm

Oh you lucky ducky Mr. Humphries!  Now be sure to check your stool thoroughly for the next 72 hours because you might have swallowed the other one.  Heh Heh!
8)

Written By: Howard on 02/28/13 at 6:54 am

Why would anyone have oysters for breakfast?  :P

Written By: Bobby on 03/02/13 at 9:01 am

He found it near where I live (I've been to the National Marine Aquarium). Maybe I ought to swallow oysters 24/7 to find a pearl too? It would be worth a trip to Derriford Hospital, lol.

Written By: Bobby on 03/02/13 at 9:03 am

Why would anyone have oysters for breakfast?  :P

If you read the article, Howard, it explains that Mr. Humphries believes oysters are a perfect cure for a hangover (feeling crappy after drinking the night before).

I'm not sure they are perfect cure for hunger in all fairness. I've never fancied them. :P

Written By: Howard on 03/02/13 at 7:53 pm

If you read the article, Howard, it explains that Mr. Humphries believes oysters are a perfect cure for a hangover (feeling crappy after drinking the night before).

I'm not sure they are perfect cure for hunger in all fairness. I've never fancied them. :P

I never liked the smell.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/03/13 at 12:20 am

I always found drinking a couple of glasses of water and taking a B vitamin before bed staved off bad hangovers.  Of course,  that doesn't help if you pass out cold and piss yourself.

Written By: Bobby on 03/03/13 at 9:35 am

I always found drinking a couple of glasses of water and taking a B vitamin before bed staved off bad hangovers.  Of course,  that doesn't help if you pass out cold and piss yourself.

My mate would often tell me he would saturate the bed with his own urine after a night out. He pissed all over his girlfriend while she was sleeping plenty of times, lol.

You are right, a few glasses of water before going to bed help keep a hangover away. As you say, the trick is to try to remember to do that after we've stumbled through the front door.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/04/13 at 7:20 pm

My mate would often tell me he would saturate the bed with his own urine after a night out. He pissed all over his girlfriend while she was sleeping plenty of times, lol.

You are right, a few glasses of water before going to bed help keep a hangover away. As you say, the trick is to try to remember to do that after we've stumbled through the front door.

;D

Would you rather be pissed on or pissed off as they say!  Of course, in America "pissed" means "angry" not "drunk."  It was confusing when British friend would say, "I got really pissed at that party," and I'd be like, "Huh? What happened?" 

It's like when that English girl turned to me in the geology lab and asked "You got a rubber?"
I don't know how they do things in London, but around here we like to at least do dinner and a movie first!
:-\\

Written By: Goodogbadog on 03/05/13 at 6:28 pm

;D

Would you rather be pissed on or pissed off as they say!  Of course, in America "pissed" means "angry" not "drunk."  It was confusing when British friend would say, "I got really pissed at that party," and I'd be like, "Huh? What happened?" 

It's like when that English girl turned to me in the geology lab and asked "You got a rubber?"
I don't know how they do things in London, but around here we like to at least do dinner and a movie first!

How did this thread about a man finding a pearl in an oyster (Wow!!) turn in to a thread discussing urine and condoms?  Is that typical of this place?  :D

Written By: Bobby on 03/05/13 at 7:56 pm

;D

I don't think the English realise the difference those words mean to an American. The English are usually taking a piss, taking the piss, pissed (drunk), pissed off (annoyed) or it's pissing (raining) down outside. If an English/American person says pissed meaning angry we understand if we get the context of the conversation.

Americans use the word 'pants' to describe trousers. We English use the word to describe underwear.

Americans use the word 'bum' to describe a tramp. We English use it to describe ours/somebody else's backside. Americans say 'ass' we English say 'arse' though occasionally we say 'ass' depending on how influenced the English person is by the USA.

Americans use the word 'fanny' to describe a bottom. We English use it as a slang word for vagina.

Written By: Bobby on 03/05/13 at 7:58 pm

How did this thread about a man finding a pearl in an oyster (Wow!!) turn in to a thread discussing urine and condoms?  Is that typical of this place?  :D

Yes. Some of us need little provocation, lol.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/05/13 at 9:11 pm

Americans use the word 'pants' to describe trousers. We English use the word to describe underwear.

And the shopkeeper said, "Blimey, mate, you don't want a pair of suspenders for your pants, you want a pair of braces for your trousers!"

:D

Written By: Howard on 03/06/13 at 7:06 am

Americans use the word 'fanny' to describe a bottom. We English use it as a slang word for vagina.

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...