inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bristol (UK) gets its own version of the Hollywood sign

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/14 at 7:45 am

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02801/Bristoland_2801300b.jpg

A version of the Hollywood sign which appeared in the Avon Gorge in Bristol has left residents of the West Country city questioning who could be behind the popular prank.

The 8ft (2.4m) high ‘Bristoland’ sign was first spotted on Thursday morning by delighted commuters travelling into the city on the main road which runs along the gorge.

Photos of the white letters were also sent anonymously to the organisers of an urban art festival, Upfest, the same day.

The sign has generated huge interest with thousands praising its mystery creator on Twitter.

The person behind the sign is believed to be a male Bristolian who is “involved with the arts and culture scene in the city” but his identity has not been revealed.

Stephen Hayles, Upfest organiser, said: “I think it was done by an individual whose motivation was simply to make a few people smile.

“They’ve certainly succeeded.

“It’s the sort of thing that would only happen in Bristol.”

The giant white plastic letters mimic the original tinseltown sign which originally spelt out ‘Hollywoodland’ when it was unveiled in 1923 to advertise a housing development.

The final four letters were removed in the 1940s.

Fixed to a mesh fence half way up a sloped rock face, the Bristoland sign is about a fifth of the size of its Hollywood counterpart.

Mr Hayled added: “It must have been an experienced climber to get to that spot on the side of the gorge.

“They must have used climbing ropes to get up there.

“It was a bit of a risk but from the massive reaction its generated I guess they will feel it was worth it.”

The sign has proved a hit with Bristolians and those travelling into the city for work.

Amy Willerton tweeted: “Whoever did this is a legend!!!! I salute you.”

Prue Connolly tweeted: "Whoever has put up the bristoland sign on the Avon gorge. It looks amazin fair play. Epic work. Made my day on the way to work."

Hannah Volpe said: "Looks just like the Hollywood sign. £brilliant."

Charlotte Sutton added: "Did anyone else notice the BRISTOLAND sign opposite the Portway tonight? How on earth did they get that up the gorge?"

Subject: Re: Bristol (UK) gets its own version of the Hollywood sign

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/14 at 7:46 am

Should it read BRISTO-LAND or BRISTOL-LAND?

Check for new replies or respond here...