inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Woman dials 999 over ice cream sprinkles row

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/14 at 12:10 pm

Police have released a recording of a woman who dialled 999 to request help in a row over the number of sprinkles on an ice cream.

The caller, who was not named by West Midlands Police, contacted emergency operators on Monday while arguing with the owner of an ice cream van.

During the minute-long call, the woman told the operator: "It doesn't seem like much of an emergency but it is a little bit."

Police said 999 should not be misused.

In the recording, the woman can be heard complaining about the ice cream she has been given.

"I've ordered an ice cream and he's put bits on one side and none on the other," she said.

"He's refusing to give me my money back and saying I've got to take it like that."

Ch Supt Jim Andronov said: "If someone is trying to get through to report a genuine life-or-death emergency, then a minute is a very long time to wait.

"I cannot stress enough that the 999 number is for emergencies only."

Subject: Re: Woman dials 999 over ice cream sprinkles row

Written By: warped on 06/04/14 at 12:38 pm

For those of you in North America who are wondering, dialing 999 there is the same as dialing 911 here, it's their emergency number.

If there was a book titled "Stupidest 999 (or 911) calls ever", I'd read it

Written By: Howard on 06/04/14 at 7:48 pm

If she had dialed 666 she'd get The Devil.  :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/05/14 at 1:05 am

Lulz, Howard!

I wish only my phone could dial 666!  Of course, if you're going to sign a cell phone contract with Satan, you better read the fine print, because the devil is in the details, Dr. Faust!

http://diasporadical.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/nosignal.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/14 at 1:33 am

From wiki:

616 is believed by some to have been the original Number of the Beast in the Book of Revelation in the Christian Bible. Different early versions of the Book of Revelation gave different numbers, and 666 had been widely accepted as the original number. In 2005, however, a fragment of papyrus 115 was revealed, containing the earliest known version of that part of the Book of Revelation discussing the Number of the Beast. It gave the number as 616, suggesting that this may have been the original. Apparently the two different numbers reflect two different spellings of Emperor Nero/Neron's name, for which this number is believed to be a code.[

Written By: Howard on 06/05/14 at 7:18 am

Lulz, Howard!

I wish only my phone could dial 666!  Of course, if you're going to sign a cell phone contract with Satan, you better read the fine print, because the devil is in the details, Dr. Faust!

http://diasporadical.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/nosignal.jpg

;D

Written By: Howard on 06/05/14 at 7:19 am

couldn't the police have helped her out?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/14 at 11:11 am

Not under these circumstances, it was a non-emergency call on an emergency phone line.

Written By: snozberries on 06/05/14 at 11:55 am

What would they do ? Shoot the ice cream vendor? Arrest him? Take a report ?

She could've ( politely ) asked for more sprinkles. If he said no she could take her ice cream and suffer that injustice. Then she could've called a manager or the main office and complained. 

If it was a privately owned ice cream place and he was the owner she should never go back ever again.

But she shouldn't call 999 (or 911)

Written By: Paul on 06/05/14 at 2:59 pm

No, she'd have got a policeman walking on his hands...

She could've ( politely ) asked for more sprinkles. If he said no she could take her ice cream and suffer that injustice. Then she could've called a manager or the main office and complained. 

She could've done...and most erudite people would have done just that (personally, I'd have lobbed the cornet at the bloke...hard - sprinkles or no!), but I'm afraid there are a growing number of individuals who are either born without a couple of brain cells to rub together, or are just full of their own freaking self-importance, that common sense suddenly becomes an alien concept...

No doubt by now some people have twigged who she is...and I DO sincerely hope she is getting some grief!

Written By: Howard on 06/05/14 at 3:07 pm

What would they do ? Shoot the ice cream vendor? Arrest him? Take a report ?

yes arrest the ice cream vendor. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...