inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hospital wards 'too noisy at night', say nurses

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 1:43 pm

Hospitals need to do more to ensure patients get a good night's sleep, nurses say.

Delegates at the Royal College of Nursing conference said a combination of thoughtlessness and badly run wards were keeping patients awake.

They called for an end to patients being moved at night, which was causing unnecessary disturbances.

But they also admitted they had to be more considerate themselves, during a debate at the meeting in Liverpool.

Hospital nurse Debbie Simmonds, from Suffolk, said a combination of alarms going off, conversations between staff, telephones and even squeaky shoes was disturbing patients' sleep.

"It is important we look at ways to reduce noise," she said.

"Sleep is a basic human need and is fundamental to good mental and physical health. Our hospitals are getting busier and patients are more poorly."

She suggested simple measures such as putting alarms and bleepers on vibrate and turning down ringing tones on phones could make a difference.

Fellow delegate Maura Buchanan agreed.

She said: "The source of most complaints about noise are nurses talking too loud, listening to the radio and waking patients up for observations, which sometimes you have to, sometimes you don't. cases even of waking patients up to give them sleeping tablets."

But she also pointed out that part of the problem was related to how wards were being managed, with examples of patients transferred to other wards or discharged completely during the night.

"Sleep promotes health and healing," she added.

But Margaret Devlin, from Northern Ireland, said it would be impossible to eradicate noise completely.

She said: "Please remember a hospital at night is a working environment. It is not a hotel. There is a need to communicate and move. We can't stop that."

Subject: Re: Hospital wards 'too noisy at night', say nurses

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/16/14 at 5:50 pm

During my last hospital stay, in March, my room was right across from the nurses station.  They opened and closed this door (in which it closed with a loud bang.)  Somehow I didn't notice as much during the day.  Seemed like they used that door every 5 minutes or less.  I just ended up staying up all night and catching cat naps during the day.  I really tried not to bother them much because they have alot to deal with and I didn't want on the nurses sh*t list for sure!

Check for new replies or respond here...