inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bulgarian buskers must be qualified

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/15 at 9:25 am

Anyone wanting to busk in the centre of Bulgaria's second city will now have to prove they're qualified.

Musicians in Plovdiv, in central Bulgaria, will only be allowed to play on the city's main thoroughfare if they've got a music education diploma, the national public broadcaster BNT reports. The city has been chosen as a European Capital of Culture for 2019. The council says it's following the lead of several other cities, including Madrid, which introduced an audition process for street musicians in 2013. The Spanish capital requires performers to face a panel of judges before they are granted a license, but does not demand an official qualification.

The council has divided Plovdiv into three zones, with the central shopping street and Old Town only open to qualified musicians. A second area is reserved for people without formal qualifications, but who have performed at musical events or entered competitions. Everyone else has to find a spot elsewhere in the city. "I wouldn't say that the requirements are stringent," says the council's public policy chief, Georgi Marinov. He adds that officials want to make sure musicians are good enough to entertain tourists and locals. Plovdiv was selected as a European Capital of Culture in September, beating three challengers, including the capital Sofia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-32066849

Subject: Re: Bulgarian buskers must be qualified

Written By: gibbo on 03/31/15 at 10:55 pm

I agree that there should be an audition process of some kind. We have that in Brisbane. But it is over the top to require a music education diploma.  Based on that even talent as great as Lennon & McCartney would not even have been given a go! Where do you go for a jugglers degree? ... or magician?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/25/15 at 1:55 am

I agree that there should be an audition process of some kind. We have that in Brisbane. But it is over the top to require a music education diploma.  Based on that even talent as great as Lennon & McCartney would not even have been given a go! Where do you go for a jugglers degree? ... or magician?
Pete, you reminded  me of...

From: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/21/paul-mccartney-busking-london-1984-give-my-regards-to-broad-street_n_1615119.html

"In 1984 Paul McCartney filmed "Give My Regards To Broad Street," and while the movie ended up being a flop -- the plot revolved around McCartney losing his tapes and trying to get them back by midnight -- it did feature one very memorable scene.

In the film, McCartney busks -- donning ruffled hair and disheveled clothes -- in front of the Leicester Square Station in London. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) for McCartney, no one recognized him as the former Beatle."

Written By: gibbo on 04/26/15 at 7:10 am

From: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/21/paul-mccartney-busking-london-1984-give-my-regards-to-broad-street_n_1615119.html

"In 1984 Paul McCartney filmed "Give My Regards To Broad Street," and while the movie ended up being a flop -- the plot revolved around McCartney losing his tapes and trying to get them back by midnight -- it did feature one very memorable scene.

In the film, McCartney busks -- donning ruffled hair and disheveled clothes -- in front of the Leicester Square Station in London. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) for McCartney, no one recognized him as the former Beatle."

I actually saw that film in the cinema and enjoyed the music. I liked Eric Stewart in the film too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/15 at 7:42 am

I actually saw that film in the cinema and enjoyed the music. I liked Eric Stewart in the film too.
The very clip!

O4zT7VhpDcQ

I saw it a long time ago, and do need to see it agai.

Check for new replies or respond here...