inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Italian Grandfather completes middle school aged 91

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/15 at 8:26 am

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/9303/production/_83853673_chietitoday.jpg

An Italian grandfather has finally finished middle school at the age of 91, it's reported.

Nicola Torello went to school every day from 17:00 to prepare for his final exams, the Chieti Today website reports. And his hard work has now paid off: the elderly student received full marks in his maths exam and English speaking test, as well as for an essay on Alessandro Manzoni, one of Italy's most famous writers. Mr Torello spent his life working as a tailor, but drew on a range of experiences for his school work - one essay recounted his time as a 19-year-old soldier serving in Greece during World War Two.

Mr Torello's four children, six grandchildren and his teachers joined him at the school in Chieti, in the central Abruzzo region, to celebrate the achievement. Even the city's mayor showed up to congratulate him, the report says.

The grandfather, who turns 92 in October, seems to be on a roll. He has now set his sights on studying at secondary school, and wants get a bit more familiar with technology. "I want to learn how to use a computer," he tells the website, adding with a smile that at the moment he relies on his daughter. "I will keep learning, because my time must always be full."

Check for new replies or respond here...