inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Chinese students get meal discounts for being polite

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/16 at 10:53 am

A Chinese university is offering students a 50% discount in its canteen if they show some common courtesy to staff, it's reported.

The new incentive has been implemented at Anhui Normal University in the eastern city of Wuhu, as part of campus-wide campaign to improve students' manners, the official provincial news site Anhui Online reports.

To qualify for the discount, which cuts the cost of a meal from 6 yuan ($1; 60p) to 3 yuan, students only have to utter niceties such as "hello", "please" and "thank you". Anyone who tells staff "You worked hard" will also be rewarded.

"Recently the school hosted a great discussion into how we could introduce ideas about etiquette, and we considered how to give the canteen an educational function," says university official Jing Fangming.

While the idea might be popular the world over with cash-strapped students, it hasn't impressed many users on Chinese social media. "I can't believe you actually have to use money to get basic etiquette," writes one on the Sina Weibo microblogging site.

One person says using politeness as a "bargaining chip" reduces its value, while another thinks it's a "tragedy" that civilised behaviour doesn't come naturally. And some aren't sure that rewards are the right approach, with one user asking: "Isn't this how you train animals?"

Subject: Re: Chinese students get meal discounts for being polite

Written By: 80sfan on 05/09/16 at 12:24 pm

I want a discount too!  ;)

Written By: Howard on 05/09/16 at 3:38 pm

I want a discount too!  ;)

Me too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/16 at 3:42 pm

Where's the queue?

Check for new replies or respond here...