inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do Columbine Parents Sweep Bullying Under the Rug?

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/22/04 at 9:20 am

I do not know about you guys, but quite frankly I am fed up with all the "Columbine Anniversary" crap.  If Columbine had been a school in a poor neighborhood, with blacks or hispanics, you would not see all this TV coverage 5 years later.  America was "devastated" about Columbine only because it happened in a mainly "white bread" school.

Those two manics shot up the school because they were tormented by bullies, who in my opinion reaped what they sowed.  I am not glorifying what those two MANIACS did, but I'm also being realistic as to the root cause.

I truly feel sorry for the truly INNOCENT kids who were killed, but let's get HONEST about the bullies who really started the whole thing.

The parents who keep blaming Columbine on the COPS are in my opinion simply covering up for the culture of bullying that existed at that school.

So if we want to vilify somebody, lets vilify the BULLIES and yes, the two SHOOTERS.

Subject: Re: Why do Columbine Parents Sweep Bullying Under the Rug?

Written By: AssKicker on 04/22/04 at 11:06 am

A very good point. There have been times where even at my school (which is in a fairly quiet area) I have felt like stabbing or shooting half of the kids there. Although I have the self-control to not actually go out and DO it.
Things really shouldn't get bad enough for kids to try to kill people- I can't imagine why kids want to upset each other to that degree.

Written By: Jessica on 04/22/04 at 11:58 am

Couldn't agree with you more, LyricBoy, especially about the part where it wouldn't have gotten any coverage if it had been at a poor school with minorities. Then again, I've noticed that these shootings usually occur at the "better" schools (Feel free to correct me on that point. After all these years, I've lost track of how many shootings there have been and where at they occured :P).

IMO, the parents are still not placing the blame where it belongs....on THEMSELVES. Do you think that if these parents took the time to sit down with their kids and get to know their habits, what they do, etc., would the bullying have continued? I don't think so. Much like video games, music, and television, the cops are (and I can't believe I'm actually defending cops here)getting a bad rap for the parents own stupidity.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/29/05 at 9:25 pm

...I just wanted to bring the last threat on the board to the top.

~Beth

Written By: Dagwood on 03/29/05 at 10:49 pm

I don't think it can be blamed entirely on bullies.  Lots of kids are bullied and don't snap and kill classmates.  I think these two boys had something wrong in their heads and the bullying pushed it beyond the normal limits.  I am sure there were clues to upcoming problems that the parents should have seen.  Hindsight is 20/20, isn't it?

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 10:52 pm

I don't think it can be blamed entirely on bullies. Lots of kids are bullied and don't snap and kill classmates. I think these two boys had something wrong in their heads and the bullying pushed it beyond the normal limits. I am sure there were clues to upcoming problems that the parents should have seen. Hindsight is 20/20, isn't it?

I think I feel that way too. I know that bulyying leaves deep emotional scars, but most people don't kill people over it.

But just because the actons of the shooters were wrong, don't use that as an excuse to underestimate bullying. It can be VERY traumatizing. I know.

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/30/05 at 6:11 pm

I don't want to brag about it, but I'm living proof of someone who has been bullying because of height, intellegence, Nationality, nerdiness, health problem, etc. and have risen above it. I disliked some of the students that bullied me, but I never felt like killing them, especially not in high school. Some kids just refuse to grow up emotionally, and you can't use parents and other students as an excuse to murder them. Having said that, I believe the environment of activity and peer pressure have a lot to do with school stress. :( 

Written By: Jennifer028 on 04/01/05 at 9:35 am

I was bullied by one girl in 9th grade.  She looked like a barbie doll.  She died in a boating accident I heard, she was drunk and drowned  :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...