inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Weepiest Ever Movie - revived thread

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/23/04 at 3:10 am

Dont mind me - I was so engrossd in several threads before the big "Crash" - so I am reviving a few of my personal faves.

Subject: Weepiest ever movie
Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/05/04 at 07:03:40

something jaytee said on the "Best ever ending to a movie" thread got me to thinking about a new subject.

She said about the film Gallipoli:

I sobbed at the end of that movie. ?The only sound you could hear in the theatre was people crying.

Life Is Beautiful also made me cry.

So I want to know - whats the movie or movies that makes you cry the most. ?And I dont mean that you just get a little tear in the corner of your eye (cos I could name a thousand movies !!) I mean which ones really get you going into a darn good old fashioned blubbering sobfest and leaves you surround with screwed up wet kleenex's. ?

And is it one you watch often - just for the excuse !! ?:'(

And guys - its ok to admit it here - we wont judge your masculinity or anything. ?My tattooed biker former room mate was unconsolable after Mel died in Braveheart.

For me:

In my childhood it was a little disney movie called Where The Red Fern Grows. ?I remember sitting at the drive in with my mum and my little brother and all three of us were bawling. ?Then we bawled all thru the intermission - and then sat thru Watership Down :( ?what a downright depressing evening !! ?and to this day if I hear "Bright Eyes" on the radio I get really choked up.

As a teen it was ET and Terms of Endearment. ?I still cant watch either with dry eyes and I generally go to bed still crying.

As an adult - Philadelphia (the little home movie at the end kills me), Steel Magnolias, Beaches, Ghost (ok I am a sucker for a tear jerker !!). ?
If I am really upset about something (I find it difficult to cry about real life but really need the release of the tears) I will throw Ghost or Beaches in and just watch the last 30 minutes to get me going !!

I am sure there are more and I am sure my memory will be prompted by other peoples lists.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: Weepiest ever movie
Written By: Rice Cube on 04/05/04 at 14:23:07

Field of Dreams was a good one :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/05/04 at 15:07:20

I have had tears after a few movies, notably ET, but I never WEPT watching a film until "Schindler's List"...it was the moment where the line of Schindler's survivors are marching to freedom, and the film suddenly changes from Black&White to color, and we see that the actual survivors and their descendants are there instead.  The music is so sad and triumphant, all at once.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/05/04 at 15:52:59

I too am a sucker for tear jerking movies.  Sometimes you just need a good cry.

I agree with Steel Magnolias, Ghost, Beaches and Schindlers list.

I need to add Passions of the Christ.  I bawled like a baby for most of that movie.

Written By: Lanie on 04/05/04 at 17:08:52

For me,it was "Titanic","ET","Ghost","Beaches",Sweet November","Steel Magnolias","Dying Young","Love Story"...

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 04/05/04 at 18:36:47

I have to agree with Lanie!

Titanic
Ghost
E.T.
Steel Magnolias
Selena! I cried like a baby at the end!!
Passion of the Christ
Big Daddy (at the end)

And, I'm almost ashamed to admit these!!:
Land Before Time :-[
Lilo and Stitch :-[

Only I would cry at cartoons! But they were really good!!! Honest!

Rio

Written By: Hairspray on 04/05/04 at 23:05:49

Quoting:
And, I'm almost ashamed to admit these!!:
Land Before Time :-"Monsters Inc." by Disney. The ending is sad and joyful all at once. :'( :)

Written By: Gecko on 04/06/04 at 04:46:14

Quoting:
As an adult - Philadelphia (the little home movie at the end kills me), Steel Magnolias, Beaches, Ghost (ok I am a sucker for a tear jerker !!). ?
End Quote

What a good topic, cos I love to cry while watching movies. ?I always say a movie is only worth watching if you are blubbering at the end of it.

I agree with Philadelphia - the home movie ending always gets me and I also loved Steel Magnolias.

What about Pay It Forward - I loved the ending of that movie. ?Also, Dead Poet's Society. ?When all the students are standing on their desks saying "Captain, my Captain" at the end of that movie I always cry. ?Sad isn't it - I mean me not the movie!!

Written By: onaree on 04/06/04 at 07:14:59

Where do I start?

The movie I cried the longest for was "The Passion of the Christ." ?Very moving, emotional movie for me. ?I was physically tired after watching this movie because I got so emotionally involved. ?It had great meaning to me because of what Jesus went through for my sin. ?:'(

Here's a list of others in no particular order: ?:'(

The Lion King (at the beginning and when Mufasa dies)
Bambi
Titanic
Mr. Holland's Opus
Young Guns II (when Doc and Chavez die)
The Lost Boys (when David dies )
The Land Before Time
Moulin Rouge
Pearl Harbor
Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron
The Story of Us
Robin Hood: Prince of Theives
Batman Returns (when the penguins were being "pallbearers" for the Penguin I thought it was so sad)

I'm sure there are others, but I'll stop for now. ?

Ok, judging from the list it looks like I'm a fruitcake. ?Ha!

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/06/04 at 09:16:21

Dumbo
Rainman
Hoop Dreams (when they lost the title)
Any Lassie movie
The original Planet of the Apes ("Damn you! Damn you!")

Night Patrol, after I found out I wasted $1 watching this crap. ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/06/04 at 09:57:35

I hate to admit that I do cry at movies. When I first dating my husband, we were watching a movie (I think it was Creator, with Peter O'Toole). I started crying but I didn't want him to think that I was stupid for crying until I looked over at him and he was crying too. At least now I am not embarrassed to cry at movies in front of him because 9 times out of 10, he will be crying right along with me.

I would have to say that the movie that ALWAYS gets me is "Les Mis in Concert". I end up crying during the entire thing. "Cats" also makes me cry but I can't watch that anymore because it reminds me too much of a cat I had who is now in "Kitty Heaven."

Cat

Written By: onaree on 04/06/04 at 10:19:27

Quoting:
I would have to say that the movie that ALWAYS gets me is "Les Mis in Concert". I end up crying during the entire thing. "Cats" also makes me cry but I can't watch that anymore because it reminds me too much of a cat I had who is now in "Kitty Heaven."
End Quote

I saw Les Miz in New York on my senior trip about 12 years ago.  One of my friends and I bawled our eyes out.  The rest of my class thought we were nuts.  There are so many cry fests through out the play.

About 10 years ago my mom and I went to see a traveling production of Cats.  It had always been a wish for me to see Cats performed.  So, when the house lights dimmed and the cats were in the audience, I started crying then.  It was a dream come true for me.  I also cried at the end when Grizabella was going to the Heavy Side Layer.  My favorite was Rum Tum Tugger. 

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/07/04 at 03:37:05

:'(    :'(

I just knew you guys would remind me of more :(

Field of Dreams - yes definately - actually the only Costner movie I can sit thru !!

Lanie - my goodness how could I have forgotten Love Story - The movie AND the book both reduce me to a choking red soggy lump.

And Onaree - Mr Hollands Opus - so many scenes in that one get to me.  The student who died, the deaf son explaining how much John Lennon meant to him (god I am tearing up and getting goosepimply just typing this), the Beautiful Boy bit, and then of course the end.  Thank you for reminding me to add this to my "must have dvd" list.

Written By: jaytee on 04/07/04 at 05:19:06

So many sad movies mentioned here.  I think I've cried through most of those mentioned.  A couple of years ago I watched an English movie called "Ladybird Ladybird" (based on a true story) which was an absolute cry-fest.  I'm a terrible cry baby at movies.  I got really upset through "Muriel's Wedding" which some people find a bit strange and I found "Japanese Story" very sad  :-[

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/07/04 at 10:56:48

Schindler's List(The situation with the little girl with big Red bow in her hair)

The Passion of Christ, The Lion King and ET

Oh yeah I know that this is techinically not a movie but the ending CG clip to "Kingdom Hearts" had me crying all over my PS2 control pad *WOW*

Has anyone else seen it?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/07/04 at 13:17:53

Quoting:
:'( ? ?:'(

And Onaree - Mr Hollands Opus - so many scenes in that one get to me. ?The student who died, the deaf son explaining how much John Lennon meant to him (god I am tearing up and getting goosepimply just typing this), the Beautiful Boy bit, and then of course the end. ?Thank you for reminding me to add this to my "must have dvd" list.
End Quote

Excellent flick. I have it on video (will probably get it on DVD someday). I think I may have weeped a little-especially those scenes you have mentioned.

Cat

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 04/07/04 at 15:31:44

Oh wow, how could I forget Mr. Hollands Opus?!!! I got really emotional at the end!

I'll also add Moulin Rouge,Bambi, and Rainman to my list as well!

Rio

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/08/04 at 12:19:51

Quoting:
The Lion King (at the beginning ...
Ok, judging from the list it looks like I'm a fruitcake. ?Ha!
End Quote

Not at all, that beginning of the film just gets me so emotional, as that "Circle of Life" song just swells up with hope...then the assembled multitude bows (of course, anyone who has seen "Lion King 1 1/2" knows what REALLY happened now, but still...);)

Subject: Re: Weepiest Ever Movie - revived thread

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/23/04 at 6:53 pm

"On Golden Pond" made me weep all the way through beccause it was so atrociously BORING.....

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/24/04 at 12:35 pm

"On Golden Pond" made me weep all the way through beccause it was so atrociously BORING.....

Ohhh that brings back memories.  I cried thru a lot of that - but not for the same reason as you Fuss !!!

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/25/04 at 5:23 pm

I think I cried about everything when I was little: "Where the Red Fern Grows"..."Old Yeller".."The Yearling"
"Life is Beautiful" and "Beautiful Mind" each made me cry when I first saw them.
And "American History X" made me cry and want to throw up the whole way through...for those of you who haven't seen it...don't.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/25/04 at 5:27 pm

It seems to me that Cher cries in every movie she has ever made. Of course she has made a couple of movies that I have cried too-Mask and Silkwood.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 04/25/04 at 5:34 pm

As a child - watching the cartoons 'Animal Farm' and 'Watership Down'  :'(

As an adult - Probably David Lynch's 'The Elephant Man' starring John Hurt. It is based on the true story of a deformed man called John Merrick.

Written By: Joelle on 04/25/04 at 8:38 pm

The Passion of the Christ... I have NEVER cried so hard from a movie.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/25/04 at 9:03 pm

I was just going to post the same movie, Joelle.  I spent the entire movie trying not to cry...I was afraid if I got started I wouldn't be able to stop.

Written By: AL-B on 04/29/04 at 7:09 pm

The one movie that really got me was "Good Will Hunting." I'd never cried at a movie but that scene when Robin Williams tells Matt Damon over and over, "It's not your fault, it's not your fault," and Matt Damon finally breaks down and starts sobbing uncontrollably, that really got me.

Written By: Gecko on 04/30/04 at 5:54 am

And "American History X" made me cry and want to throw up the whole way through...for those of you who haven't seen it...don't.

I really liked American History X.  It is a pretty powerful film.  Yes, it is graphic (the head stomping scene being memorable :o) but I have always liked it - and I cried bucket loads at the end!!

Written By: mr.smith s on 05/18/04 at 1:33 pm

Weepiest movie for me is: Dancer in the Dark

Saddest movie ever.

Written By: scarletgail on 05/18/04 at 6:03 pm

Sweet November  :\'( the orginal and the remake just a few yrs back

Written By: gemini61 on 05/18/04 at 6:18 pm

For me it has to be Terms of Endearment and Steel Magnolias. You would think after watching a movie so many times, you would be over the crying stuff, but NO, I cry EVERY time I watch either of them :\'(

Written By: Koop on 05/18/04 at 7:14 pm

The Passion of the Christ... I have NEVER cried so hard from a movie.

Neither have I.  I started crying during the scourging scene and continued through the credits. (and probably for a few minutes after)

Before that, my weepiest film was The Color Purple.  I bawl when Mister is ripping Celie and Nettie apart, when Shug sings into her father's church and when Celie sees Nettie and her children at the end.....EVERY time. (and I've seen it quite a few times)

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/28/04 at 10:22 pm

Meet Joe Black

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/28/04 at 10:48 pm

"Brian's Song"....the original from 1970....NOT that piece of CRAP remake from a few years back :P

"Love Story" also from 1970....

"Heaven Can Wait" from 1978

"Without Limits"...the story of American Distance Runner Steve Prefontaine who died tragically in May 1975 in a rollover accident....what makes it worse for me is that my late son Blaine and I saw that movie together and he loved "Pre"....we also ran together up to two days before he was murdered :\'(

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/29/04 at 2:57 am

[color=Blue
"Love Story" also from 1970....

"Heaven Can Wait" from 1978

Man oh man - Love Story - either in movie form or book form brings me to tears big time.

Heaven Can Wait is one of my all time favourite movies but it doesnt necessarily make me cry that much. 

Written By: dude on 05/29/04 at 4:51 am

A few that have already been mentioned (Terms of Endearment, Steel Magnolias, Love Story) and I would have to add the ending of Thelma and Louise........... also, several scenes from Basketball Diaries really got to me. Oh, and the home movies of the Lynyrd Skynyrd boys getting on the "Free Bird" (the plane) at the end of "Free Bird, The  Movie" always chokes me up.

Written By: darktower on 05/25/05 at 11:39 am

Field of Dreams: "Hey, Dad?...Wanna have a catch?" :\'(

The Sound of Music: Captain von Trapp singing "Edelweiss" at the music festival, with all the Nazis standing around... :\'(

Schindler's List: Schindler realizing that the value of his car and his Nazi pin could have saved a few more lives... :\'(

So that's what makes me cry...Nazis and baseball.

Check for new replies or respond here...