inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A VERY Serious Topic

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/24/04 at 1:00 pm

This is a very serious and sobering topic. Please take a few minutes to read through this story. It is long, I know but I think this story needs to be told. The pictures are very, very haunting. It is almost like something that Stephen King would write but this REALLY did happen and the possibility is out there that it could happen again.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/

Cat

Subject: Re: A VERY Serious Topic

Written By: Jessica on 04/24/04 at 1:57 pm

I just read through that whole website. I'm still in shock.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/24/04 at 3:41 pm

I remember when that happened.  I would hope operators of other nuclear reactors in the world learned something from the disaster and hopefully this won't happen again.  It is quite scary to think that it could, though.

Written By: Mike Florio on 04/24/04 at 10:12 pm

really really scary thing to think about...Im just happy that the closest nuclear reactor is about 50 miles east...

Written By: Paul on 04/25/04 at 11:36 am

Extremely chilling...

I vividly remember sometime after the event, that some parts of the UK were on 'fallout standby' - particulary livestock areas in Scotland...how much of the stuff ever blew across here is not known...

Written By: Bobby on 04/25/04 at 5:10 pm

A place untouched in almost 20 years - It said it could take at least 500 years for the nuclear levels to return to an 'acceptable' level.

Like Paul touched on, it makes you wonder what kind of repercussions this disaster had around the world.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/26/04 at 2:29 am

I remember when it happened and how shocking it was that it COULD happen.

Then 3 years later when I was living in London I remember there still being issues - mostly to do with fruit - you had to be careful when purchasing oranges etc and had to ask the store where they had been trucked in from.  There was a risk that orchards in Europe were still being affected by radiation due to contaminated soil etc.

Very scarey.

Written By: philbo on 04/26/04 at 5:32 am

It's certainly a chilling example of what can happen when political considerations override technical ones: the technicians at Chernobyl had been warning for years about the state of the place, but AFAICT their concerns either never reached the Politburo or were ignored - it was orders from on high for ever-increasing output which caused the thing to meltdown, and someone in the chain didn't pass on the bad news.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/26/04 at 10:27 am

I think what really got me was that picture of that doll that was burned and those gas masks next to it. VERY HAUNTING picture. Or those guys going in to clean up with just dust masks-as if that is going to protect them. Yeah right!  >:(

Cat

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/26/04 at 11:17 pm

I must admit - when I did my first post I was only about three pages into that site.  Later in the day I sat there and went thru each and every page.

It was amazing how she was standing their in photos holding up a gieger counter with high readings.  Then in peoples homes - with photos of loved ones just sitting there - left behind - like everything else.  And by the time she got to the school I was sobbing at the sight of little shoes and burnt dolls.

I have sent the link to each and every person on my email list.  Its something each and every one of us should take a look at to see what man made errors can be prevented in years to come.

Thanks for sharing the link Cat.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/04/04 at 4:46 pm

I thought that I would bump this up again. I really believe that this is something everyone should see.

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/04/04 at 5:15 pm

That's horrible.  The Rockers should have another "No-Nukes" concert :-\

Written By: AL-B on 05/04/04 at 11:09 pm

Could someone please tell me why God created plutonium???

Written By: AssKicker on 05/06/04 at 12:01 pm

Maybe It didn't. Maybe Satan did.
Or maybe, like with evolution, God made the universe and let it do its own job. Perhaps plutonium was created by accident.
Although... My theory is that God made the universe. Then Satan took it over. In the bit in the Bible when Jesus is being tempted by Satan in the wilderness, Satan says that the world belongs to him. So I believe that this world has been taken over by Satan, and when we die, God takes us all to heaven to escape Satan, if we agree to go with It. And maybe that's one of the reasons why Exodus was included in the Bible straight after Genesis.
But now I'm getting too philosophical.

Written By: Saider E. on 05/09/04 at 10:50 am

I just talked aout that in my geography paper. Very sad.

Written By: Powerslave on 05/10/04 at 7:45 pm

Could someone please tell me why God created plutonium???

Plutonium was created by Man.

Written By: AL-B on 05/10/04 at 9:32 pm

Plutonium was created by Man.
It was discovered by man, but it is a natural element.

Written By: Fred on 05/12/04 at 1:13 am

That is very sad, I can't imagine what it was like for thos people.  :\'( But it makes me want to travel there, almost to show my respect to the people that once lived there.

Written By: philbo on 06/09/04 at 11:00 am

Incidentally, Plutonium is a man-made element - it doesn't occur in nature, and is a by-product of Uranium fission

Though it seems that this story is not all that it seems:

http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/2004/05/fraud-exposed-and-true-thing.asp

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/09/04 at 11:07 am

Incidentally, Plutonium is a man-made element - it doesn't occur in nature, and is a by-product of Uranium fission

Though it seems that this story is not all that it seems:

http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/2004/05/fraud-exposed-and-true-thing.asp

As I recall, Plutonium DOES exist in nature, but in miniscule and insignificant quantities.

All of the Plutonium used my "mankind" is man-made in uranium reactors.

Written By: philbo on 06/09/04 at 12:10 pm

I guess from when free neutrons hit U238... when they say a trace, they mean a trace...

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/09/04 at 12:16 pm

Well, the link that Cat posted isn't working for me, but if these are the Ghost Town photos I am thinking of, they have been proven to be a hoax.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/09/04 at 2:02 pm

Well, the link that Cat posted isn't working for me, but if these are the Ghost Town photos I am thinking of, they have been proven to be a hoax.

Try this one

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/default.htm

I don't think this is a hoax. It is about someone's trip through Chernobyl

Cat

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/09/04 at 3:06 pm

Wow.  That's not what I thought it was going to be, Cat.  Scary stuff! :o

I only looked at the pictures, but I'm very intrigued to go back & read about it.

Written By: philbo on 06/09/04 at 5:00 pm

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/default.htm

I don't think this is a hoax. It is about someone's trip through Chernobyl

I think you'll find it is - the pictures are real, but the surrounding narrative isn't :- http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/2004/05/fraud-exposed-and-true-thing.asp

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/09/04 at 5:59 pm

I don't understand why anyone would lie about something like this. Whether she made the trip on motorcycle or not, the fact remains that Chernobyl IS a ghost town thanks to the work of man. If you don't want to believe this woman's story, you can google and find many other photos. I did and they are just as haunting. There are many websites about it.

I find this interesting report-haven't read the entire thing-just health issue chapter.

http://www.nea.fr/html/rp/chernobyl/chernobyl.html

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...