inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Short Lived TV Show

Written By: woops on 04/25/04 at 2:58 am

Since this covers most decades during the history of television, I posted this poll on the Playful Penguins Forum.  8)

My choice: "Gidget"

BTW, "Family Guy" doesn't count since it's coming back later this year/or early 2005.  8)

Some of my faves for "Other": "Parker Louis Can't Lose" & "Sifl & Olly".

Oh, shows that only lasted 4 seasons also count.  :)

Subject: Re: Favorite Short Lived TV Show

Written By: Dagwood on 04/25/04 at 1:03 pm

Freaks and Geeks

Written By: Marian on 04/25/04 at 3:40 pm

;DI voted for "Freaks and Geeks"but i also liked "Elvis","Hull High","Heart of the City","Brimstone",and "Gidget".Cheers!

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/25/04 at 5:16 pm

I voted for other:  "Teen Angel".....anyone remember when it was on ABC's TGIF line-up?  Oh, I was so sad when they cancelled it.  :'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/25/04 at 5:22 pm

I voted for When Things were Rotten. How can you go wrong with Mel Brooks.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 04/25/04 at 5:37 pm

What the heck. I went for 'other' in the form of Mr Smith which only lasted one or two seasons. It was about an orangutan who acquired an high I.Q level and worked for the government. Not many people liked it but I remember loving it when I was around 5 years old or so - Ha ha! It's a monkey in a suit . . . So funny.  :D

Written By: AL-B on 04/25/04 at 8:28 pm

I remember George Carlin had a show on Fox for a season or two in the early 90's that was really funny.  He was a New York cabbie, and I remember this one episode where he wanted to take a woman out on a date but he was strapped for cash, so one of his buddies suggested he go to the sperm bank and make a donation. "Great," he replied, "I can get paid for one of my hobbies."

Written By: Joelle on 04/25/04 at 8:41 pm

Gidget

Written By: NbC on 04/26/04 at 1:47 am

Other - John Doe

I wasn't able to see most of the episodes because we were hit with a huge storm and our cable service (and just about every other service) was out for quite a while.  When the cable was finally restored I found out the show was cancelled.  What I was able to watch I really liked.  I was devastated!!! 

Written By: Neo Matrix on 04/26/04 at 11:37 am

I liked "Greg The Bunny". That show was hilarious.

Written By: SmithsGirl on 04/26/04 at 6:22 pm

Kindred: The Embraced

I still can't believe the show was cancelled.  >:(  I was stunned. Still am. This was an amazing show.

SmithsGirl

Written By: Junior on 04/26/04 at 7:15 pm

Cracking Up

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/26/04 at 7:21 pm

I concur. :D

Cat

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/26/04 at 11:29 pm

I remember George Carlin had a show on Fox for a season or two in the early 90's that was really funny.  He was a New York cabbie, and I remember this one episode where he wanted to take a woman out on a date but he was strapped for cash, so one of his buddies suggested he go to the sperm bank and make a donation. "Great," he replied, "I can get paid for one of my hobbies."

I think that was Top of the Heap...with a young Matt Le Blank

Im gonna vote for THe incrdably funny and underrated Ben Stiller Show, but there are a bunch that can fit this catorgory:

Faulty Towers
Square Pegs
Son of the Beach
Police Squad
Upright Citizens Brigade
Fernwood 2-night (it was only 3 seasons, right?)
Cover wars
Idiot Savants
Fridays
The State
Clerks
Undergrads
Clone High
Futurama
Freaks and Geeks
and it looks like unfortunatly Arrested Development...such a great show

Ive actully never seen an episode of When things wre rotten...I should...I love Mel Brooks

Written By: woops on 04/27/04 at 6:10 pm

I think that was Top of the Heap...with a young Matt Le Blank

Actually it was simply "The George Carlin Show". I don't think he was on "Top of the Heap".

Written By: Hairspray on 04/28/04 at 11:36 pm

Other -

1) Battlestar Galactica

2) John Doe

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 04/29/04 at 9:12 am

THAT 80'S SHOW!!! ;D ;D ;D

Hehehe...I don't know why that show didn't last, yet "That 70's Show" did. They're both just as cheesy in their writing. But how can you go wrong with a show that not only name-dropped, but played The Smiths?? :D I also thought that punk girl character was cool.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: nally on 05/17/04 at 4:59 pm

Since "Dinosaurs" lasted only 3 seasons, I would vote for it, but since it's not listed in the poll choices, I'd have to select "other."

Written By: mr.smith s on 05/17/04 at 5:17 pm

3 shows i miss 
- INVADER ZIM!
- Clone High
and Freaks and Geeks -- Bill simply is the man

Written By: Koop on 05/17/04 at 6:47 pm

Cat

You can't!  ;) 

Another vote for When Things Were Rotten here!

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/17/04 at 7:08 pm

Other...

1.  Big John, Little John

2.  Oh Mighty Isis

Both of these were 1970's saturday-morning shows.

Written By: AssKicker on 05/18/04 at 12:34 am

I voted "Other" because I absolutely LOVE Bagpuss. Only thirteen episodes were made and I have them all on video.
I mean, the main character was a magical, fat, pink, stripy, feline pyjama case. I loved the way all the toys came to life- my favourites were Gabriel and Yaffle.
Plus, the little girl who looked after them all and the shop was called Emily, just like me! :D

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/18/04 at 2:16 am

OK, I just know I'm the only one that watched this show...
How about "The Slap Maxwell Story", starred Dabney Coleman as a sports writer.
The writting was incredible, witty, bizarre with nonsensical puns, insults etc.

It was the kind of show that started you laughing five minutes after hearing the dialog or joke, it was so twisted. The fun part was watching the show and figuring out the puzzle of the pun or joke was, like a mad-lib TV show...way too cerebral for network TV.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/18/04 at 8:39 am

http://crazykelvin.virtualave.net/wklythght/sep02/fastlane.jpg

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/18/04 at 12:44 pm

I chose Square Pegs.  :D

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/19/04 at 2:46 pm

I miss Titus and Herman's Head... actually a lot of Fox sitcoms that tried to tread new ground and were just too outside the mainstream for network television.

That's My Bush was fun when it was still on too... especially when they had an episode where Cheney took over as president and they renamed it as That's My Dick. Politicians have such crazy names.

Written By: Billy Florio on 05/19/04 at 2:58 pm

That's My Bush was fun when it was still on too... especially when they had an episode where Cheney took over as president and they renamed it as That's My Dick. Politicians have such crazy names.

to quote George Carlin: Think of the names of the two people in charge during the first Gulf War: Dick and Colin!

but yeah, Thats my Bush was histerical

Written By: Lanie on 05/27/04 at 1:55 am

"My So Called Life"

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/28/04 at 10:19 pm

My so called life

Written By: Mangoo on 05/29/04 at 9:49 am

Good Topic!My choice was Mighty Orbots it was a cartoon on ABC on Saturday mornings it only lasted one season dont know why they cancelled it it was better than Voltron.

Written By: dude on 05/29/04 at 1:25 pm

I miss Titus and Herman's Head... actually a lot of Fox sitcoms that tried to tread new ground and were just too outside the mainstream for network television.

I swear Chucky, you read my mind. I thought for sure I would be the only one to mention Titus and had forgotten all about That's My Bush. Both great shows!

Written By: Zella on 05/30/04 at 12:31 am

"When Things Were Rotten"

Can't believe how many people remember it! :)

Written By: woops on 05/30/04 at 1:41 am

Another short lived classic that wasn't mentioned:

VH1 "What's My 20" 

It was a show where viewers voted for their favorite songs or videos. After the show, VH1 aired the videos in their "entirety". (well the first/last seconds cut out...or minute if it has a monologue)

Unfortunately, it only lasted a few episodes.  :-\\

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/30/04 at 1:47 am

Other : Sledge Hammer  :)

Written By: Neo Matrix on 07/05/04 at 3:25 am

"My So Called Life"

Digital cable! On The N/Noggin they show "New" Episodes

Written By: ProgShred on 07/05/04 at 4:17 am

Capitol Critters. Also, Herman's Head, Fridays, Police Squad, Sledge Hammer and Tour Of Duty.

Subject: Favorite Short Lived TV Show

Written By: Dude111 on 09/07/22 at 7:44 pm

I picked Gidget... Should have been given more of a chance.......

I hadnt ever seen that,how long was it on?

Written By: whistledog on 09/11/22 at 11:14 pm

Stingray.  It was an action/drama show on NBC that first began as a pilot episode in 1985, then aired as a mid-season replacement in 1986 and was canceled in 1987 after its second season (24 total episodes).  It was created by TV legend Stephen J. Cannell.

It starred Canadian actor Nick Mancuso as a mysterious character named Ray, who drives a 1965 black stingray and helps people in trouble in return for a favour that he may one day need down the road.  This show had one of the best intros of any show and actually won the 1986 Emmy Award for Outstanding Graphic and Title Design (a category that no longer exists as most shows today don't really have TV intros).  Another cool thing about this show was at the end of each episode as the credits rolled, it didn't show stills of the episode like most shows did, instead it showed stills of the director and production crew making the episode

5LeIlYirmgI

Written By: whistledog on 09/11/22 at 11:32 pm

Another good one was called Cover-Up which aired for the 1984-1985 season on CBS.  It was about a special forces operator (Jon-Erik Hexum) and a fashion photographer turned CIA agent (Jennifer O'Neill) who go undercover as a photographer and model to help people and catch criminals around the world.  The theme song was a re-working of the Bonnie Tyler song Holding Out For A Hero, this one performed by actress/singer E.G. Daily. 

This show is best remembered for the on set accident in which Jon-Erik Hexum accidentally killed himself while playing with a prop gun.  I never watched this show when it was new, but I've since seen it thanks to the internet. 

moe3hTPNC0Y

Check for new replies or respond here...