inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TV Commercials You Hate

Written By: nally on 04/25/04 at 11:37 pm

We had a thread like this on the old board, so I thought I'd start a new one up. There are so many annoying commercials; which ones can you just not stand?

My short list:
- Any ad with violence
- Any ad where they use different lyrics to a popular song
- the cell phone commercials where the guy says, "Can you hear me now?"

I'll get into the specifics later; feel free to mention the ads you don't like!

Subject: Re: TV Commercials You Hate

Written By: woops on 04/25/04 at 11:55 pm

Those Quiznos Subs commercials that look like those cats VH1 promos on acid  :P
Those annoying collect call commercials with Carrot Top.
The breath mint commercial with the guy kissing a dog. (Blech!)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/03/04 at 9:24 am

First and foremost...ANYTHING to do with subway  >:( (Most know why)and up until the most recent one (Which I like)....ALL the pepsi commercials....all they seem to do is talk about how much better they are than Coke....while Coca-Cola take s the high road and doesn't use hate for pepsi in thier ad campaigns.

Written By: resinchaser on 05/03/04 at 11:27 am

I hate the "Gotta Have My Pops" cerael commercials. And those stupid Mountain Dew commercials.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/03/04 at 11:38 am

Because Pepsi is better than Coke.  ;)
J/K: It's really a matter of taste.
But I hate those Schick Mach 3 Turbo commercials where the guy floats for no apparent reason, then comes down to a half-naked woman.
Dishonorable mention: Toys R Us (Geoffery the giraffe is best kept silent.)
Any Carlton Sheets infomercials.
Any Ron Popeil commercials.
Any commercials with computer generated dogs or cats making faces like humans.
First and foremost...ANYTHING to do with subway  >:( (Most know why)and up until the most recent one (Which I like)....ALL the pepsi commercials....all they seem to do is talk about how much better they are than Coke....while Coca-Cola take s the high road and doesn't use hate for pepsi in thier ad campaigns.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/03/04 at 3:40 pm

I hate the "Gotta Have My Pops" cerael commercials. And those stupid Mountain Dew commercials.

I have a cousin who has what is probably the world's largest collection of Mountain Dew memorabilia.  It goes all the way back to when they had the "Hillbilly Theme" and the "Yahoo! Mountain Dew!" slogan.  Signs, bottles, jugs, trays, cases, you-name-it he has it.

;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/03/04 at 3:42 pm

I hate any of those feminine hygeine product commercials.  They always seem to come on at the most inopportune time.

One of these days I am going to invent a line of masculine hygeine products for the purpose of equal rights.  Plus, to make alot of money.  :P

;D

Written By: Powerslave on 05/03/04 at 3:51 pm

There's an ad for coffee in which the voice over is done in an extremely annoying whisper. Also, I hate any radio ad that uses yawning, especially when they come on when I'm driving to work.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/03/04 at 4:33 pm

Because Pepsi is better than Coke.  ;)
J/K: It's really a matter of taste.

Very good, Indy ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/03/04 at 4:36 pm

Those old Apple Jacks commercials where they make the parents look like idiots..."Son, why do you guys like Apple-Jacks?" Son:"We Just DO!"    >:(...Okay, stupid...now tell me what I asked in the first place ::)

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/04 at 4:38 pm

Usually car, loan services and insurance adverts. BORING!

Written By: Paul on 05/03/04 at 4:45 pm

The breath mint commercial with the guy kissing a dog. (Blech!)

...that brings back a few memories - some of the dogs I've kissed in my time (Arf!)

Ah, Bobby! You must remember the one from the mortgage company (can't remember who...) which used to have the bloke with the thick Brummie accent saying...'We want ter be tergevver...' - (Bloody annoying! Hell - what was that??!!)

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/04 at 4:54 pm

Ah, Bobby! You must remember the one from the mortgage company (can't remember who...) which used to have the bloke with the thick Brummie accent saying...'We want ter be tergevver...' - (Hell - what was that??!!)

Hmm! Yes I do, Paul.  :(  ;D

It was the Prudential advert featuring the man from that comedy called 'The Fast Show'. It was the bane of my late school life. I moved down to Plymouth and everybody quoted it - It cheesed me off after a while.

Written By: Paul on 05/03/04 at 4:56 pm

Heh! I'll bet...there were times you couldn't go twenty minutes without someone saying it...!

The Pru...that's it! Well remembered...

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/04 at 5:19 pm

Heh! I'll bet...there were times you couldn't go twenty minutes without someone saying it...!

The Pru...that's it! Well remembered...

The worst part about it was they could say the line better than I could.  :-\

Written By: AL-B on 05/03/04 at 7:15 pm

I hate that commercial with tax lawyer Roni Deutch, where she says she can settle your IRS bill for "Chwenty dwollars...CHWENTY DWOLLARS!" I also hate radio commercials for car dealerships when they have that fast-talking jerk who always says something like,"4.9PERCENTFINANCINGFOR60MONTHSWITHAPPROVEDCREDITTAXTITLEANDLICENSEEXTRANOTALLCUSTOMERSWILLQUALIFYFORALLPROGRAMSSEEDEALERFORDETAILS."

Written By: Howard on 05/03/04 at 9:07 pm

Burger King : I'm Spicy!  >:(

Howard

Written By: AssKicker on 05/04/04 at 2:08 pm

I hate that really pretentious washing powder advert- I forget what it's called, it might be called Circair or something. But it's the advert where they bang on about how it protects "whites, colours and delicates" (featuring an image of some poor old biddy with a terribly strange facial expression lifting up a voluminous pair of underpants.)
It goes on to say how it's "gentle on the most delicate garment of all: Your birthday suit." Then it has a picture of a naked baby (urrgh!!)

Incidentally, why do they have naked babies on so many adverts? They don't show Page 3 girls on tampon adverts, and they don't show sexy blokes naked on condom adverts. Why should the paedophiles get all the fun, especially when it's their behaviour that society is supposed to discourage and even penalize? ???

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/04/04 at 5:11 pm

I HATE WTBS...stupidstation....how long are they going to run that old hag Elizabeth Taylor commercial about her perfume.  I think it's from the late 1980's ::)

Written By: nally on 05/20/04 at 11:06 am

An ad for Popsicle Mini's (?); a boy is washing a van (probably a Dodge Caravan) outside on the driveway; then he leans against it and it shrinks down to the size of a HotWheels toy car. I think that's dumb. ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/20/04 at 1:22 pm

The Hoveround power wheelchair ads, where the old guy says "It's the best thing since LEGS !"

That's about as offensive as you can get.  >:(

Written By: coloradokid on 05/20/04 at 1:53 pm

I've always loathed the Winchell's commercials of the late Seventies.......far too loud, far too crescendo in intensity, far too downright bone-chilling as far as tone......as I recall, it was like sitting about waiting for a jaguar to pop out of the woodwork, ripping you to hamburger.

The commercials consisted of donuts, a voice-over, and a man you couldn't see, getting more and more emotionally crescendoing......the minute you heard him drive off to Winchell's, so to speak, he screamed.

At two and three years old, it felt very scary to me.

Hated it.

Could not stand it.

Written By: nally on 06/10/04 at 1:30 pm

Another one I absolutely can't stand:

The Nexium commercial where the food turns into push pins. Not only is that unrealistic, but it's also an eyesore. :P I'm sure any younger viewer would be frightened by it.

Written By: Marian on 06/10/04 at 2:17 pm

Another one I absolutely can't stand:

The Nexium commercial where the food turns into push pins. Not only is that unrealistic, but it's also an eyesore. :P I'm sure any younger viewer would be frightened by it.
:o :o :onever thought of it scaring children1Cheers!

Written By: womberty on 06/10/04 at 3:04 pm

I hate KFC's "Kitchen Fresh Chicken" ads.

Yeah, sure, we're going to forget what the KFC really stands for and pretend that everybody refers to hommade fired chicken as "kitchen fresh."

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/10/04 at 3:11 pm

I really despise those digital cable commercials with the bearded sattelite guy teaches his "students" how to cheat on customers be overcharging on extra equipment and channels. Why doesn't somebody fire the creep already? >:( 

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/10/04 at 4:56 pm

That's easy to answer

On Ch 9, UPN, in New York City, their was this TERRIBLE and GLOOMY, DEPRESSING, commercial for
"Social,Security Disability Benefits" by "Klein,Wagner and Morris"

The Commercial was in Black and White, and showed People's faces,
Thankfully they put a less Depressing commercial on TV.

Idiots, how could they make such a sad commercial in the First Place

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/10/04 at 4:56 pm

And yes, I absolutely HATED and DESPISED that commercial.

Thank Heavens, they no longer show it on TV

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/10/04 at 5:37 pm

I'm certain that if we all, saw the TERRIBLE, and Depressing commercial for
SSI that I mentioned, we would All hate it

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/10/04 at 5:43 pm

And of course, Wilford Brimley, Diabetes commercials,

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/11/04 at 7:09 am

I hated the commercial for the cell phone where the girl is taking pictures with her phone of the guy eating a sandwich. The sandwich is falling apart and the guy has it all over his face and then he knocks over his soda.  The whole thing is just so gross.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/11/04 at 7:29 am

I HATE the commercials for Swoops. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/11/04 at 8:42 am

I HATE the commercials for Swoops. 

I agree, PopCultureBabe.

The group Tag Team sold out when they allowed their "Whoomp! There it is!" to be co-opted to hawk snack foods.   :P

Written By: nally on 06/11/04 at 1:45 pm

I agree, PopCultureBabe.

The group Tag Team sold out when they allowed their "Whoomp! There it is!" to be co-opted to hawk snack foods.   :P

Count me in. In fact, I hate any commercial that takes a popular song and changes the lyrics for commercial purposes. Personally I think the FCC should ban that. For example, Robinsons-May currently uses "Always something there to remind me" in their ads, changing the word 'remind' to 'excite'; I flat out hate that. >:(

Written By: oddxsocks on 06/11/04 at 10:22 pm

i can't stand those charmin toilet paper ads with the bears.  honestly - who gets THAT happy when using toilet paper?!

i also hate those ditech.com commecials...enough with that annoying guy.

there used to be one on awhile ago for ruffles brand potatoe chips that had this truly terrifying animated baby saying "RRRRUFFLES HAVE RRRRIDGES!" with onions dancing around its face...i actually had to change the channel when it came on. :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/11/04 at 10:38 pm

i can't stand those charmin toilet paper ads with the bears.  honestly - who gets THAT happy when using toilet paper?!

Spend two weeks out in the Canadian Wilderness and you'll understand.

:P

Written By: Zella on 06/12/04 at 1:54 am

Am I the only one bothered by that Hummer commercial where the boy builds a small replica of a Hummer and wins the race by cheating and driving straight across the hilly terrain instead of following the track? And it supposed to be a good thing?  >:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/12/04 at 8:21 am

Am I the only one bothered by that Hummer commercial where the boy builds a small replica of a Hummer and wins the race by cheating and driving straight across the hilly terrain instead of following the track? And it supposed to be a good thing?  >:(

Who knows if he is cheating?  We need to see the rule book.

Just maybe the race is "the fastest from Point A to Point B" without mentioning that you have to stay on the road.  In that case, our Hummer Boy is indeed a creative chap.

Of course if the rules book says you gotta stay on the road, then he's cheating.

Of course I live a mile or so down the road from the Hummer Plant  ::) so I may be biased.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/12/04 at 11:28 am

Spend two weeks out in the Canadian Wilderness and you'll understand.

:P

As for me,I am not happy when I have to go to the bathroom. ;D

Howard

Written By: AssKicker on 06/12/04 at 11:57 am

There used to be an advert for Shreddies, which described them as "Too Tasty For Geeks".
I complained to Ofcom several times, saying that geeks are t3h r0xX0r and that these adverts were only encouraging kids to be underachievers that are dominated by peer pressure (although that didn't really come across much on the advert- how many kids have a boom box these days?). Several other g33xX0rs wrote in to newspapers about it, and eventually it was banned.

The advert now says:

Wait for it, it's so stupid...

"Too Tasty For... Lawnmowers."

Written By: gemini61 on 06/12/04 at 1:54 pm

I can't stand Info-mercials >:( They're always on, same thing, over and over again for 30 minutes at a time!! Then you change the channel and there it is again, selling the same thing for another 30 minutes!! Whoever invented the remote control, THANK YOU!!! ;)

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/13/04 at 5:12 pm

I hate just about all of them, but especially the ads for perscription drugs, like "Only zanta is Zantac" which don't tell you what they are for.  Doctors must hate them too.  No wonfer drugs cost so much.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/13/04 at 6:41 pm

If you haven't looked at a ford lately....look again. Why should I...they STILL suck ::)

Written By: lebeiw15 on 06/13/04 at 6:48 pm

That thing for some SONY camcorder something-or-other.

"I just want you to know.. that you are my shining star."

I used that line in real life, and it never worked. ???

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/13/04 at 9:15 pm

Hey, just because I live in Colorado does NOT mean I like Coors Light commercials....NOW they're trying to lower themselves into the thug world...."Rappin'" about basketball...Throwin' Elbows and Talkin' Trash....Sportsmanship dominated sports when I was growing up...the sports world is going to hell >:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/14/04 at 4:14 am

That thing for some SONY camcorder something-or-other.

"I just want you to know.. that you are my shining star."

I used that line in real life, and it never worked. ???

Before, or AFTER the commercial came out? ???

Written By: nally on 06/24/04 at 1:26 pm

Lately I've found the ads for Geico Insurance a bit annoying. A few of them don't really make a whole lotta sense, especially the ones where a person says: "I have some good news; I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico." What does that have to do with anything? ??? ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/24/04 at 1:42 pm

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico." What does that have to do with anything? ??? ::)
I think that's the point, nally....but I know what you mean. The only one from them that I enjoyed was the one with the squirrels high-fiving each other in the middle of the road ;D

Written By: nally on 06/24/04 at 1:47 pm

I think that's the point, nally....but I know what you mean. The only one from them that I enjoyed was the one with the squirrels high-fiving each other in the middle of the road ;D

Yeah, I actually thought that one was kinda cute, but some of the other ones are weird. In my last post, I was referring to ones like, the one where a guy was showing a used home to a couple and he gets electrocuted touching a wire; the "soap opera"-type scene (man:"I thought that meant something to you!"); the "death row" ad where an inmate follows a guy into the office, etc...

Written By: Sentimentalist on 06/24/04 at 9:18 pm

Almost all of them.  The advertisers use fallacies to try to coerce people.  My grandfather told me that advertising was useless since people buy what they need not what people tell them to buy.  They use "appeal to vanity, the bandwagon. I really hate the Zantac and Pepsid commercials since they supress evidence.  The Pepsid type drugs claim that if you use Prilosec, you may need to use it for days before it works, why not just use their product since you only use it when you need it.  I will tell you why, everytime you feel "heartburn" you are experiencing esophogeal erosion, a condition which can lead to esophogeal neoplasms ( cancer) if you are on a maintanence dose of prilosec you experience almost no discomfort and therefore no esophogeal erosion.  It is a fallacy of suppressed evidence.  I have been on esomeprozole hcl for 2yrs and had only 3 bouts of heartburn.  The most comfortable I have been in years.
Anyway, God lyk!

Written By: nally on 06/24/04 at 10:52 pm

A few weeks ago I was watching an episode of "Whose Line Is It Anyway" on the ABC Family channel, where they did a hoedown about commercials; Colin Mochrie's verse was the funniest.

"I hate commercials, what a waste of time.
They take up all the program, it really is a crime...."

I totally agree with that.

Written By: womberty on 06/25/04 at 4:07 pm

I hate the new Skippy candy-bar ad. Rasta elephants? What the...?!?

Written By: oddxsocks on 06/25/04 at 4:18 pm

i was rewinding a video i had used to tape something last year and found that i had the "RRRRRUFFLES HAVE RRRRRRIDGES!" commercial.  on video.  in my house. :\'(

also, the daisy sour cream one: you're a part of the fun with a dollop!  a dollop!  a dollop!  of DAY-ZEE.

yeah, i don't get that one either.  kind of annoys me. >:(

Written By: lorac614 on 06/25/04 at 4:43 pm

Lately I've found the ads for Geico Insurance a bit annoying. A few of them don't really make a whole lotta sense, especially the ones where a person says: "I have some good news; I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico." What does that have to do with anything? ??? ::)

It's kind of like "I have some good news and some bad news...the bad news is whatever, but the good news is..."

Anyway, the one I hate is for Axe(?) cologne.  A guy sprays it on and then is bitten by a mosquito.  The bug is eaten by a frog, the frog legs are eaten by some old man, he dies and the maggots form a heart on his grave.

Another one, the Great Adventure commercials with the old guy dancing.

Written By: womberty on 06/25/04 at 4:46 pm

Anyway, the one I hate is for Axe(?) cologne.  A guy sprays it on and then is bitten by a mosquito.  The bug is eaten by a frog, the frog legs are eaten by some old man, he dies and the maggots form a heart on his grave.

Yeah, that one's just gross.  :( :-[ :P (<-- closest I can get to a puke face)

Written By: Howard on 06/25/04 at 8:48 pm

Yeah,I don't get that commercal. ???

Howard

Written By: nally on 06/25/04 at 10:53 pm

Yeah,I don't get that commercal. ???

Howard

Me neither. In fact, I've found many singing ads to be annoying, even a few that use original music. ::)

Written By: dude on 06/26/04 at 3:25 am

There are a couple........one is for Hardee's with Mark McGuire, where you can hear, in great detail, him taking a bite of the burger and then you can hear, quite well, him chewing and gnashing and crunching............OMG!! I HATE people who "eat loud" and these commercials take that to the nth degree, I GUESS because they think it makes their sandwich "sound tasty" or something. I grosses me out BIG TIME!

Written By: Dagwood on 06/26/04 at 8:33 am

There are a couple........one is for Hardee's with Mark McGuire, where you can hear, in great detail, him taking a bite of the burger and then you can hear, quite well, him chewing and gnashing and crunching............OMG!! I HATE people who "eat loud" and these commercials take that to the nth degree, I GUESS because they think it makes their sandwich "sound tasty" or something. I grosses me out BIG TIME!

Bringing to mind the Carl's Jr commercials.  They gross me out.

Written By: Marian on 06/26/04 at 2:36 pm

It's kind of like "I have some good news and some bad news...the bad news is whatever, but the good news is..."

Another one, the Great Adventure commercials with the old guy dancing.
??? ???I've never seen the Axe commercial.Is it American?The reason I'm asking is European commercials are often a lot raunchier.Cheers!

Written By: nally on 06/27/04 at 12:00 am

McDonalds ads have also gotten annoying lately. ::)

Written By: dude on 06/27/04 at 5:19 am

That makes sense as they're the same company, basically ;)

Yep, just different parts of the country.......like Shoney's/Bob's Big Boy.

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/27/04 at 5:59 pm

Oh, so many..

I actually STOPPED buying Herbal Essense shampoo because of the stupid women um, having "organic experiences"..  :P

I also hate the commercials that make it seem like it's cute, or funny, to show a child behaving horribly.  Vehix.com (?) has one where they show the computer guy checking out cars for the family..and then when he presents the list to the mom, she says thank you, and he walks over to the kid, smiles and says "And what's your name?" to which the kid doesn't answer, but instead kicks him.  Grrr.. >:(  I mean, trust me, I know some kids are like that--but mom just sits there, doesn't say anything to the little brat..and that's supposed to be funny?  Just as a mom, that really irritates me.

Um...I agree about the Geico commercials.  I do find a couple of them "amusing"..the one with the soap-opera couple ("You're leaving Jessica?") and the Mr. Jiggy Fly one--(except the punk laughing in the background), and I kinda like the robot dancing gecko--but they have way overdone the whole "I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance" thing. 
I agree..what in the heck does your car insurance have to do with ANYTHING they are addressing??

There are more, but I'll stop now.   ;D

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/27/04 at 5:59 pm

McDonalds ads have also gotten annoying lately. ::)

What..you aren't "LOVIN' IT"??  ;D

Written By: nally on 06/27/04 at 6:03 pm

Um...I agree about the Geico commercials.  I do find a couple of them "amusing"..the one with the soap-opera couple ("You're leaving Jessica?") and the Mr. Jiggy Fly one--(except the punk laughing in the background), and I kinda like the robot dancing gecko--but they have way overdone the whole "I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance" thing. 
I agree..what in the heck does your car insurance have to do with ANYTHING they are addressing??

I know...I said that. Saving money on car insurance doesn't have anything to do with what's depicted in the scene. Some of the earlier ones (from circa 1998-2000) were okay; one with the gecko that I actually found funny was where he came out of the shower to answer the phone: "No I can't save you money on car insurance; you want Geico, not Gecko! Well that's uncalled for."

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/28/04 at 11:04 am

Have I told anyone how much I hate commercials featuring men and women running around in their underwear? I especially despise the commercial with "Iko Iko", where the girls giggle as they look in the windows. They're not selling undies, they're selling women. >:(

Written By: womberty on 06/28/04 at 1:36 pm

That's what makes it funny! The "good news" isn't what you're expecting; it's the surprising good news about car insurance!

I dunno, I find most of them funny. They do a good job of setting up the cheesy ads - and sometimes, you can't tell at first that it's something else - then hit you with the punchline.

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/28/04 at 4:33 pm

That's what makes it funny! The "good news" isn't what you're expecting; it's the surprising good news about car insurance!

See, but that's why I think it's been overdone..because now it isn't a surprise when they hit the punchline.  :-\\

Written By: nally on 07/05/04 at 4:56 pm

Since we have another thread like this in the 2000s forum, maybe we should lock this one.

Check for new replies or respond here...